Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Bridesmaid Luncheon or Dinner

is anyone doing anything fun or have any great ideas for a bridesmaid luncheon.I know i wanted to do a kentucky derby theme. have my girls wear big hats and dresses. but I am having a hard time of where to have it where i live. so then i was thinking of decorating and setting up a place on my parents patio. but then i was trying to think of fun games or something cool to do to make it a great night. just wanted to see if anyone has any ideas or what are you doing for yours!

Re: Bridesmaid Luncheon or Dinner

• Options
    edited December 2011
    The derby theme food sound slovely but themes where you start telling people whatto wear are onboxious to guests. you are already dictating that they get a dress for teh weding do not make them go out and find dresses and hats to fit your theme. It makes it a poor thank you. But some dinner and drinks woudl be lovely
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    my daughter is hosting her "Bridal tea" at a local tea shoppe. They are popular here. giving favors of a china tea cup, tea, jelly, scones, ect.. HTH
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I am throwing a bridesmaid luncheon for a sweet, sweet friend. She moved here (Wilmington, NC) from Ohio a few years ago, and her fiance moved here from Florida recently as well. Neither of the bride's sisters had a bridesmaid luncheon, so this is a first for most of the guests, and EVERYONE invited to the brunch is going to be coming in from out of town. It is also a very small guest list. Mine included 30 something people, but my bridal party was much bigger. I am hosting a two-fold type event... first (or second... not sure), we are going to start the event with a "spa" type party... I'm going to bring in a couple of manicurists, a hair/makeup person, and probably a massesuse (sp?) for a couple of hours. The feel will be super relaxed, and the things that the girls might usually stress over having time for (nails, getting hair blown out or curled, make-up touch ups, etc) will be built in to the event. I'm thinking mimosas, a coffee bar and light foods like fruits, etc. Then around noon we will have a traditional southern luncheon. I'm going to use my grandmother's silver and china to add to the authentic southern feel - except the bride's place setting will include a setting of her china and a setting of her silver (which will be my gift to her). I think it would be so neat if I could have everyone bring one place setting of their own china from their wedding (because everyone invited is already married), but with everyone coming from out of town, I worry that it would add unnecessary stress and heaven forbid anything break in transit. So I'm going to have to wait and use that idea for an in-town luncheon. Anyway, we will have a sweet tea bar (not where you can add alcohol to the sweet tea, but where you have different things like mint, peaches, raspberries, etc to your tea) and traditional southern fare with a few plated options with a child's plate option for the little flower girls. To keep people from being bored while waiting their turn to get their nails done or hair curled or whatever, I will have plenty of magazines and fun southern books (think Louis Grizzard and the book called something like Somebody is Going to Die if Lilly Beth Doesn't Catch the Bouquet) and some books on southern traditions incorporated into the decor. I'm thinking as a favor for the guests, ideally, I'd like to do personalized bathrobes (but I'm thinking that could get expensive and awkward... would the girls wear a dress to the luncheon, change into bathrobe for spa part, and change back? No!) - so my next thought is that along with the invitation, I will send a custom t-shirt to commemorate the event and coordinating filp flops from old navy. This is a beach wedding and especially with the spa morning, I want people to be super comfy. And just think how cute pictures will be with everyone in their shirts! : ) Hopefully everyone will leave relaxed and comfortable and importantly, ready for the rehearsal and dinner. With all of that being said... I think your derby theme sounds fabulous! I would be thrilled if I was invited to a fun themed luncheon or dinner like that. A lot of bridesmaid luncheons are so stuffy because they are all about tradition. Don't get me wrong... I love tradition, but it can also be fun. And as for derby type games??? Have a "horse" (like paper or felt or something like that...) attached to a popscicle stick. Then have each guest name their horse - I think the horses' names at races are so funny. (As an aside... you could have your guests vote on who picked the most creative name and then winner could get a small prize) Then have everyone put their horses name in a hat and you can pull for 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place and give out prizes. You could also do a derby trivia game where people get in teams - just like trivia night at a bar. You could also have a most craztive hat contest which might get people in the mood for the hat wearing. I would also have a few extra hats on hand for guests who didn't want to/forgot to wear a hat originally and then get to the party and want to join in the fun. I also envision playing games of croquet and bocce ball for some reason. And mint julips are obviously a must! Your favor could be a silver plated julip cup with each guests' monogram or just an general envraving of thanks and commemoration of the event. Long story short - LOVE the derby luncheon idea!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards