Pre-wedding Parties
Options

I'm sorta Lost!

I don't really know what showers/prewedding parties I am supposed to have. I've tried to figure it out but it is all a mystery to me. As far as I can understand it there is the bridal shower, the engagment party, the wedding shower... Am I missing any? So when do these happen and in what order and do you have all of them, and if so who throws them. Thanks for any help you can give me =)

Re: I'm sorta Lost!

• Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    These are the details you don't get stuck with - and there are certainly enough to worry about without these. Showers and engagement parties ONLY occur if someone offers to host them.  Anyone can host these for you if they volunteer to do so, but in some circles it is frowned upon if the moms' do it.  In many circles it is widely accepted. Some girls have a bridal shower and a wedding shower - some only have one of those.   Some have neither because no one offers to host one. Engagement parties are usually hosted early in the engagement, and the showers much closer to the wedding. Hope that answered your questions.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    chellie, as kmm said, these are things that are really not on your "to do" list, because traditionally, the bride doesn't throw any of them for herself.The answer to your question is that all of those things mentioned are nice to have, and many brides have some or all, but you are not "supposed" to have them-they're not requirements for getting married.In our circle of friends, no one has an engagement party.  I've never been to one, and I have two married children who didn't have e-parties.  I don't know why, but they're just not done.Also in our circle, the terms bridal shower and wedding shower are interchangeable.  I never knew there was a difference between them until the Knot.Finally, all of what you've mentioned are, as I said above, not required.  So that means if someone offers to host any of the events for you, you have them.  If they don't offer, you don't have e-parties, showers, b-parties, etc.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    None of teh prewedding parties are thrown by teh bride or groom all in honor of them by people who offer to host/hostess. Only those invited to the wedding may be invited to any prewedding partiesengagement party- varies by region . Some areas not done at all.typically in first 3 months of engagement Wedding shower /bridal shower - same thing different title by region. Hoested by whomever wants to throw it typically on a saturday or sunday midafternoon 1 week-3 months prewedding typically Bachlorette or bachlor parties- typically in last 2 months thrown by friends of bride or groom.
  • Options
    lilcasserslilcassers member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    wait hold up... bridal & wedding showers are two different things? Oh my, I thought it was just a different term. Someone pls explain! Thanks :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    I had ALWAYS used the terms interchangeably until I came to the knot.  In some circles a bridal registry is strictly gifts for the bride (likea lingerie shower) and a wedding shower could be coed and gifts for the home.  Where I come from they are all bridal showers.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards