Pre-wedding Parties

Need new ideas for bridal shower! Please HELP!!

Hey ladies!I am the maid of honor in my sister's wedding and am throwing her shower in a month. I just got married myself and the guest list for her shower is almost the same as for mine. I want it to be different so it doesn't feel like deja-vu for everyone, and I want to tailor it more for her tastes. I am having trouble thinking of original ideas for games, food, decor, gifts, etc. Any ideas that can help me throw an original shower that is different than the standard and what she did for me would be wonderfully helpful! Don't get me wrong, she did a beautiful job with my shower, I just want to break the mold a bit for hers. Thanks in advance!

Re: Need new ideas for bridal shower! Please HELP!!

• edited December 2011
    Serve her favorite foods and drinks
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    LOL stage. I was thinking the same thing. What if everything I suggest is what hb had at her shower? hb~how can we help you with new ideas unless we know what you've already done?
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, great idea from Retread.  Maybe she can help you host it!  :-) Here's a link to some other ideas: http://wedding.theknot.com/bridesmaids-mother-of-the-bride/bridal-shower-ideas.aspx
  • bablingbrookebablingbrooke member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Is her wedding after Thanksgiving or before? If before, go with the fall theme that others suggested. If after, how about a gingerbread house-making party? My friends and I have been doing that for years and it's always fun no matter how old you get. Ask each guest to bring one bag of candy for building materials, you provide the graham crackers, frosting, and paper plates. Warning: It can get a little messy, but not so much that it should be any kind of deal-breaker.
    Courtesy of megk8oz
    "I think bablingbrooke is the 13 yr old marring her cousin at the town hall. Lets all give her a big hand. And hope her inbred children can live normal lives." -tabs.

A word of warning from your friends at Cracked.com: Remember that text is going to be how you make your first impression over the internet; if every third word you type is misspelled, people will automatically assume that you're a moron.
  • edited December 2011
    I am throwing FSIL a shower next month. I decided to go with a kitchen shower and all the games and favors are kitchen related. I went to her registry and found her kitchen theme to be red and chocolate. That was my inspiration for colors, invitations. Centerpieces will be cranberries in vases, favors will be mini cheese graters. I am still undecided on food, but for desert we will have red velvet cupcakes and hazelnut hot cocoa.
  • simone&Jeffsimone&Jeff member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I had fun at my shower. It was a traditional tea party. It may sound lame, but trust me: everyone had a great time! We made everyone dress up and wear hats. (If anyone didn't have a hat they only needed to borrow from one of the other girls. And most had hats they had never worn, so loved the opportunity to show them off.) We had teas of course, but also mimosas and a non-alcoholic punch. We had finger sandwiches, mini quiches, etc. We played old jazz. We decorated with ornate china and my collection of tea pots. The favors were the cute little purse hangers (http://www.pursejewelry.com/shoppursehangers.html) and other knick knacks for the purse. The only thing is... I didn't really want games. So we did a few "icebreaker" type questionnaires (reveal your middle name, first pet, first thing you would buy if you won the lottery, etc.) and one game that was a purse scavenger hunt (find glasses, book, family photo, etc.) But mostly, I just wanted to talk and catch up. Of course, everyone went around the room and offered their wedding advice.It's not everyone's cup of tea (pun intended), but I had a blast!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards