Pre-wedding Parties

e-party name tags: a do or don't?

My family's hosting a small engagement party at a local restaurant.  It'll only be about 25 people, but suprisingly most people won't know most of the others there.

I was thinking of making name tags to help break the ice and ease conversation.. maybe the person's name with a couple words underneath, e.g. "Maid of Honor", "Groom's brother", etc.

I wouldn't do sticker ones; probably the little plastic badges with clips on the back.

Is this appropriate for a nice dinner?  I want this to be a classy event, not tacky . . . but I also really want people to get acquainted and feel comfortable doing so.

Re: e-party name tags: a do or don't?

• edited December 2011
    I vote 'no' on the name tags. Plastic clip-on badges and stickers are for business events, not social occasions.

• edited December 2011
    I wouldn't be thrilled about having to wear a name tag with my name and title. I figure someone would have a speech and introduce everyone real quick. There's no need for them, everyone will be able to mingle without them just fine.
  • utegogglesutegoggles member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
  • Simply FatedSimply Fated member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I wouldn't wear it, to be honest.
  • edited December 2011
    No, no, no, no, no... it is a dinner to celebrate your engagement, not a business conference. I would think it's weird, it would make me uncomfortable and I would not wear it.

In a group of 25 people, they can figure out how to TALK to each other to learn names and get to know a little bit about each other.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers
  • edited December 2011
    I agree with PPs, no name tags.  My showers were both about 30 people, most of whom did not know eachother.  We introduced people as much as possible, obviously we missed a few I'm sure.  People still had no problem mingling.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp's please don't!

I detest wearing name tags at work functions never mind at a social situation. To be honest, I would take it and then throw it out and act surprised if the host asked where mine was.
  • edited December 2011
    No name tags! I flinch every time I have to wear one for work things, and usually don't unless I absolutely HAVE to. I would definitely not wear one at a social event like an e-party. Just introduce people to others they don't know.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • edited December 2011
    What about place cards? I did place cards for mine, which was about 27 people (mainly bc it was 2 long table and I didn't want my nana sitting next to the bridal party AND I needed to keep my divorced parents a safe distance from each other), but it would serve your purpose and look okay.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    Wedding Website
    image 143 Invited
    image 110 Are ready to party!
    image 31 Are party poopers!
    image 0 Can't find the mailbox!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_e-party-name-tags-dont?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:1f7769fc-1c4b-4b49-b882-c743921be364Post:a0765621-6926-4cc7-88c9-ab57a2a61a14">Re: e-party name tags: a do or don't?</a>:
    [QUOTE]No name tags! I flinch every time I have to wear one for work things, and usually don't unless I absolutely HAVE to. I would definitely not wear one at a social event like an e-party. Just introduce people to others they don't know.
    Posted by Summer2011Bride[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div>
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • gymbugmj2kgymbugmj2k member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    place cards might be ok, but NO name tags.

We had a casual cocktail event at my grandmas house, and once most of the attendees were present, we gathered in the living room and went around the room to introduce ourselves. It was awkward and funny and great all at once.

"Hi....I'm mary and uh, well....i'm the bride!"
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards