Pre-wedding Parties

How to behave at my shower

Alright so a little birdie told me that my shower invite will be in my mailbox any day now. It is making me so nervous.  I know that it is at a restaurant and will also have a theme.    I am nervous because I do not like accepting gifts from people.  I get uncomfortable recieving praise just for "getting married" and I generally am going to feel embarassed at the fact that all of these people traveled and threw a party in my honor.  Anyone else feel that way?  I am not shy and I actually am a terrific public speaker and have no problem being the center of attendion.  I am just a very modest and private person and it's not my style to be like "Im getting Married! I am so special!! Look at all my presents!!!"  That being said, how do I appear Gracious?  How do I enter the room? I cant believe at showers some people make an entrance and then people clap for them!! What do I do when people clap for me?  Take a BOW?  HAHA.  But seriously.  Any suggestions of phrases I could utter or things I could do and ways to appear very gracious at my shower would be appreciated.

Re: How to behave at my shower

• My daughter's shower is tomorrow. It's not a surprise because we wanted to make sure to clear the date with her ahead of time. Everyone is looking forward to this because we haven't had a wedding in our family in many, many years. Since she knows about the party, she will arrive early and greet the guests as they arrive. That should take some of the nervousness out of it.

Don't be nervous. Those people who are coming to your shower are your nearest and dearest ones. They want to be there because they are happy for you. As you open your gifts, thank the givers and move along to the next. No one is expecting a long, eloquent speech. Make the rounds after you open your gifts to spend a few minutes with each group of guests.

Have fun! Congratulations on your upcoming marriage.

• I never heard people clapping as the bride enters a shower.  In any case, if they do, just nod your head wave and smile LOL.  Act how you would normally act if it wer any other day and just smile and say thank you as you open gifts.  You don't have to make a speech either... thank people for coming, for their gift and tell them you can't wait until the wedding.  
    Daisypath Wedding tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards