Pre-wedding Parties

rehearsal dinner advice

My fiance and I are getting married in the city where we've lived for the last several years. Both our families are travelling quite a distance to come for the wedding. My fiance's mom is hosting the rehearsal dinner. She wanted it to be at our house, with all the out of town family invited. I suggested maybe something with just the wedding party and spouses at a restaurant for dinner, with everyone invited to join us after for drinks and visiting. I feel terrible, because I think she's hurt we didn't want it at our house and I feel terrible. We are already having people over on Sunday after the wedding, we just felt Friday night might be too much before the big day. Is anyone hosting at their home before the wedding?

Re: rehearsal dinner advice

• benmel31benmel31 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    we are not, but i agree with you that hosting a RD on Friday night and then something on Sunday after the wedding is too much!  you do not want to be worrying about cleaning/straightening up either before or after your wedding!  you are going to want to be done by Friday so you can enjoy your wedding day!
    Anniversary image
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers image TO image
    my to-read shelf:
    Mel O's book recommendations, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (to-read shelf)
  • edited December 2011
    We thought about having out RD at our house (since we are paying for it) for about half a second. Its just too much the night before your wedding to be entertaining a bunch of people at your house. I like the restaurant/inviting for drinks after idea. That's exactly what we came up with too.
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    We have declared our home a guest free zone for wedding weekend.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You don't need to agree to have it at your own house, but is it possible that the restaurant idea is not really in her budget?
    Married 10/2/10
  • jed15jed15 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My parents are hosting the RD and sunday brunch at their house. We hired a catering company that will bring in all the plates, and utensils in addition to the food. We're about 75 for the RD, and 50+ for brunch.

I really would rather have more people and do it at home than at a restaurant with just the BP and invite others for drinks afterwards. I personally would feel shafted if I travelled from OOT and the bride and groom said, "we want to see you at RD, but we're not going to pay for you to eat, so come for a drink!"

As long as you have plenty of help to clean up afterwards, I think you should have them all over, or invite them all out for dinner to the RD.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice. I think I did hurt her feelings by suggesting she shouldn't have to take the cost on all herself and that we would be more than willing to help. My reason for not wanting it at my house is I feel overwhelmed at the thought of doing set up and clean up on the afternoon and night before the wedding. However, we told her we had thought about it and were wrong, and that we should do it at our house. But now she says we should do whatever, and we are all tiptoeing around the issue now as no one wants to hurt anyone's feelings. One way or the other, it will work out, I suppose!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards