Pre-wedding Parties
Options

cocktail party for people not invited to wedding?

My mom seems to think we should have a cocktail party for some people who are not invited to the wedding who live in the area. However, isn't it rude to invite these people to that but not to the wedding? My wedding is in the area where my mother lives and she has many friend there that we are not invited to the party due to space and budget reasons. Presents would of course not be expected.
What do you all think?

Re: cocktail party for people not invited to wedding?

• Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, no, no, no, no, no, no.

The only possible way this is acceptable is if it has absolutely NOTHING to do with the wedding.  As in:  your mom was throwing a cocktail party for her friends, and you're just another invited guest at the non-wedding related get together.

If it's at all wedding related.  No.  You're right.  Mom's wrong.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I don't think it's a good idea.  I think it would look like a gift grab, even if you're not expecting presents.  It would also be kind of like a tiered reception, where some people get the consolation cocktail party.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I agree with pp. Looks like a gift grab. Bad idea.
  • Options
    mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Bad idea.  How does your mom plan to word the invites.  "just to make sure it's clear you are not invited to my daughters wedding, but you can come to the cocktail party later"

Now I will say I was invited to a post-reception get together when I was not invited to the wedding or reception. However,  the B&G were under extreme space limitations and I understood the situation.  But to hold a whole party for the people not invited is just not cool.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No, please don't do this. You are right and your mom is wrong. There's no polite way to invite people to part of the wedding festivities without including them in the wedding itself.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This was my question as well!! So it's nice to see the answers!
  • Options
    twilight.rosetwilight.rose member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Even doing it after the wedding seems like it might come across as a "consolation prize" for people who weren't invited to the main affair.

I would refrain entirely, or at least, if you host one after the wedding, make sure it isn't directly related to the wedding.
    **i'm a little drunk on you and high on summertime** Photobucket
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Yikes! Yeah, definitely not a good idea. I can't imagine a bigger slap in the face than: "You weren't invited to the wedding, so here's a consolation prize." Plus, they might feel like they should bring you a gift, which isn't fair to them.
  • Options
    sabatronsabatron member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    For the love of all things good and right, please don't do this. People will gossip endlessly about you. Seriously.
    Scrabble high score: 531
  • Options
    CynthiaJHCynthiaJH member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I hear the "Danger-Abort" alrams going off! Don't do this!!! Tell Mom no way. If she asks why show her this post....
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards