July 2012 Weddings

dress dilemma

ok so....i am seriously at the point that i might just go get another dress. i really dont know what to do. i posted pics before of my issue....the designer sowed the top and bottom together in middle, which is fine, i guess some of them do that....but the "stitched line" is absolutely driving me insane and my eye automatically goes down to it. im long waisted with short legs.....and i really feel like this dress, JUST because of that "line" is making me look even longer waisted!!!!! i really did love the dress when i bought it, and i figured it was just too big on me and the seamstress said thet could always take the boning out of the top so that it didnt stick out as much so i didnt worry about it. plus....i didnt realize that the dress was sown together from the middle. i went to a master seamstress who told me she couldnt really do anything about it but maybe add more beading and appliques right above that spot to draw my eye away from it. even when i had the dress on at the seamstress....i just felt "eh"....thats not good!! the beading makes the dress not "flowy" as well....which is fine because its so pretty but i always imagined myself in a fluffier dress i guess. i think i listened to too many opinions when i went dress shopping. here's the catch....my mom payed for this dress, and i feel like i would break her heart if i told her i was going to pay for another dress! Or do i just suck it up and make the best of it and shut my mouth?? whenever i try it on, i just feel OK, i dont feel beautiful in it, and then i go home and look at the pics of me in it.....and i dont know why the designer wouldnt have stiched the dress together underneath the sash!! then it would be fine

Re: dress dilemma

• Are you able to bring it back to the seamstress or a different and see if there's something else can can be done to correct this?
    . Anniversary aandt image
  • edited January 2012
    Do you have a picture of you in it you could post?

btw you have a PM =) 
  • Yea I was having trouble posting them...I will try to get some on her tonight. Just feels like that line draws the eye down towards my belly and hips and who the heck wants that lol?!
  • What was it about this dress that made you to decide on it in the first place? If we understand better what you do love about it, we could probably be more helpful for you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I liked the beading and how elegant it looked. It was the only dress I cried in but now that I see it in pics afterwards it doesn't look that good on me.
  • I think a picture of you in it would help a lot in assessing what it looks like.  If you really want to do a different dress, I would at least give your mom an FYI or something or a chat with her and tell her your not expecting her to pay and will pay for it yourself you just don't feel comfortable in it.  What did everyone else say about it when you tried it on at the salon?

Anniversary
  • your dress looks so stunning in the pictures!! that being said, this is your day and you want to feel perfect.  

as the others suggested, if you could post pics of yourself in the dress, maybe we could give you some hints. definitely take it to another seamstress - all have different opinions! 

it is funny how no matter how gorgeous a dress is on the rack, we may think it looks terrible on us. there were a few i tried on that were so beautiful, but i really just didn't like how they looked on me.  if this is really, truly, how you are feeling, i think you should go find a new dress ASAP so you can have the wedding of your dreams and not be worrying about your (to you) imperfect dress. 
  • If you are not comfortable in the dress you need to change it.  I know how I would be and I would HAVE to change it.  If you can afford it, you still have time!!  DO IT!!
  • I think it draws the eye, but not in a bad way at all.  Maybe you're just being hard on yourself?  Definitely post a pic of you in it so we can tell you if we see what you see.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Kate's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • You know people always say that we are the worst critics when it comes to ourselves. I think the dress is beautiful, but if you really don't like it nor feel comfortable in it- it doesn't hurt to look around. Maybe you'll realize that you actually love this dress after trying on different dresses.
    doggie Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • You girls are the best.....ill post pics tonight...;)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards