Pre-wedding Parties

HELP! Black Dress to my engagment party a no no?

So i just came back from my lunch break and bought a nice black lace dress for my engagment party this Sunday. i showed it to my coworkers and one of them said ''arent you supposed to wear white to your engagment party?" no one else heard of this but she seemed pretty sure that brides to be wear white to their wedding related parties (engagment party, bridal shower, bachelorette party).

Now i'm second guessing myself, should i return the dress for a white one? There was a champagne colored dress thats a similar style to the black one i got.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Re: HELP! Black Dress to my engagment party a no no?

• edited December 2011
    I would go with the champagne colored one, black makes me think of a funeral, I'm going with white every chance I get :) But it's your call, that's just what I would do.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Daisypath Vacation tickers Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    hmmm, yeah when i had to choose between the two i was thinking ''is this to funeral-ish?" but liked the style of the black more then the champagne. Thanks for your input
  • edited December 2011
    I have nver heard of this rule, either. Your new LBD is perfect for your engagement party.

• edited December 2011
    A black dress is suitable for nearly every occasion.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_black-dress-engagment-party?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:4ae2f244-f29b-42ee-9cc9-dd23cf70e6b6Post:b680e591-d150-4be3-9a0c-c47461949430">Re: HELP! Black Dress to my engagment party a no no?</a>:
    [QUOTE]A black dress is suitable for nearly every occasion.
    Posted by CassieeK[/QUOTE]

agree, wear what you want to wear

June 2012 December Siggy Challenge: Favorite Things about Christmas image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Planning Bio Updated 10/24/2011
  • lenergyrlahlenergyrlah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My bridesmaids will be wearing black dresses in my wedding.  I think the idea that black is a color of mourning is outdated.

You're supposed to look beautiful at your engagement party.  Whether this is a tank top and jeans at a backyard barbaque, a gorgeous black dress, or an ivory dress, it works.

If the dress is very conservative, long, long-sleeved, etc. where it looks very funeral-appropriate, maybe you shouldn't wear it.  My bridesmaids are wearing sleeveless knee-length black cocktail dresses (nothing slutty, but something you might see at an office Christmas party) and I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all.

I've also seen some really nice pictures of bridesmaids wearing floor-length black dresses (and also pictures of the whole bridal party in white dresses, and everyone says nobody should wear white except for the bride).  So I think, forget about the rules regarding color, etc. just make sure that whatever you wear is appropriate for the event and have fun!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • lenergyrlahlenergyrlah member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I've also gotten comments "what do you mean you want to wear red shoes? Isn't a bride supposed to wear white satin shoes?" and of course about the bridesmaids wearing black dresses, as well as "wow you're asking me to be a bridesmaid really early" (11 months in advance, right after we got engaged).  (I think this friend was comparing me to another friend, who has been engaged for over a year and still hasn't set a wedding date).

I've also heard "your FI shouldn't see you in a white dress until your wedding day" which completely goes against the whole "i thought you're supposed to wear white to your engagement party."  

The whole point is, you're not "supposed" to do anything, and whatever you choose to do will go against some custom somewhere, so just do whatever you want!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • TrixeetrixTrixeetrix member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree with lenergyrlah!  Its 2011.  You can wear whatever you want!!
    wedding countdown
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards