Pre-wedding Parties

What should I wear to my 'surprise' shower?

I am being thrown a 'surprise' bridal shower on August 8th. Unfortunately, someone leaked the information to me accidently so I know when and where the shower is. I plan to still act surprised as I do not want to hurt the hostesses feelings. My question is, what should I wear? I've been invited to a 'pool party/cookout' that day, so normally I'd show up in a pair of capri's and a tshirt, probably with my bathing suite underneath. If this wasn't a surprise shower, I'd go out and buy a cute summery dress, but I feel like if I wore that to a casual cookout it would be obvious that I know since I wouldn't normally wear it. Do you think it'd be ok for me to wear a nice pair of dress capri's and a cute top or is that too casual for my shower?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What should I wear to my 'surprise' shower?

• SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    This is why I'm not a fan of surprise bridal showers. Everyone I've ever known to have one ended up finding out anyway and the surprise is almost always ruined. Plus, if the bride isn't in the know she's not going to come dressed for the occasion. I know I was excited to go shopping for my bridal shower dress and went and got my nails done the day before in preparation.

I say show up in a cute summery dress that you'd wear to a summer pool party or BBQ. This way you still look dressed for what everyone thinks you thought you were showing up for, but will still be dressed nice enough for your bridal shower and pictures that will most likely be taken. Throw everyone off by packing a bag with a bathing suit and towel so it looks like you came prepared for the pool party. HTH!
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm also not a fan of surprise showers.  My advice is that you just tell your hosts that you do, in fact, know about the shower, and that you're so excited about it.

Someone is going to know that it wasn't a surprise, the word gets out,  and then you look silly for pretending it was. 

Call the hostess:  "Hi, Agnes!  Listen, I want to be honest with you and tell you that I've heard about the shower, and I'm so honored that you'd host it for me.  I'm also very excited to be coming!  In fact, I think I'm even more excited now that I can wear a cute dress and enjoy getting ready for the party.  But I didn't want to have to pretend with you.   Is there a time that would be better for me to arrive, now that it won't be a surprise shower?"

If I were the hostess, I'd want to know that it's no longer a surprise.  (Of course, I guess if I were the hostess, it wouldn't BE a surprise since I never throw surprise parties.)

HTH
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks ladies.  I appreciate the advice.  I'm still torn on what to do.  I've got a little less than 2 weeks to figure it out, so wish me luck Sealed
  • awit77awit77 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'd act surprised. My mom threw a surprise party for my 16th birthday and she knows I HATE surprise parties. I found out and I still acted surprised. It would have broken her heart if I didn't. She knows now and is bummed that I found out but glad I reacted the way I did. Show up dressed in your summery dress with a bag with all your pool party essentials and you should be good to go. Good luck!
    revised
    bio! (updated 08.18.10)
  • edited December 2011
    Thanks awit77...I think that's what I've decided to do :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards