Pre-wedding Parties

RD help

I've never been to a rehearsal dinner, so this is all new to me.  The FI and I are footing the bill for it so we're just inviting WP and our parents.  I know this is the opportunity for the WP and parents to get to know one another, share stories of us, and make any toasts/speeches if they want (since only BM and MOH will toast at wedding).  What else am I to expect during the dinner?  I'm a very organized person and make lists of everything... this list however seems so short.  what else goes on the RD itinerary?  Thanks.
TTC #1 since 11/2010
Me: 33 dx PCOS 11/2012
DH: 37 SA 6/2012 - normal
Cycle #1 on 50 mg Clomid 12/2012 - unsucessful
Cycle #2 on 75 mg Clomid + Trigger 01/2013 - unsucessful
Cycle #3 on 600 mg Vitex + acupuncture 02/2013

Anniversary

Re: RD help

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    At the RDs I've been to no one has given a toast.  In my experince the RD is just that Dinner.  The only speeches I've ever seen are the Bride and Groom thankiing everyone for being part of their day and they hand out the gifts to the WP.  If you invite your officiant they might give a blessing.  I've never even seen people share stories about the bride and groom.  They don't even do a lot of "getting to know you".  They sit/talk with who they already know.  I don't know if it's my circle or what but the RD is really more of a thank you to the WP.  The rehearsal is often around dinner time the night before the wedding so it is only polite to provide a meal since you are asking them to give up their evening for you.   It really isn't a big production.  You want it fairly short and sweet, after all you have a big day ahead of you.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_rd?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:66630187-4b8e-49cf-a01c-378dd0831aa4Post:2c43708a-1f9b-42ed-a0ac-9e696b899f33">RD help</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've never been to a rehearsal dinner, so this is all new to me.  The FI and I are footing the bill for it so we're just inviting WP and our parents.  I know this is the opportunity for the WP and parents to get to know one another, share stories of us, and make any toasts/speeches if they want (since only BM and MOH will toast at wedding).  What else am I to expect during the dinner?  I'm a very organized person and make lists of everything... this list however seems so short.  what else goes on the RD itinerary?  Thanks.
    Posted by ms15[/QUOTE]

ditto mystic.  You're overthinking this.  It's the time you feed your guests because RD's typically happen over the dinner hour.  It really doesn't need to be more than that.

Your parents and the WP don't need to "get to know each other".  In my experience, both as someone who has attended RDs and as a former MOG and MOB, your friends in the WP will talk with each other.  Your parents will talk with each other, and you'll be floating between both groups.

I've never seen toasts, other than the B&G thanking everyone and perhaps handing out gifts.  There's no "itinerary" other than:  hold rehearsal, enjoy dinner,  B&G thank everyone, go home to sleep before wedding day.

At my DD's RD we added about an hour after dinner to decorate the reception room (put up CP's, etc).

An RD should be short, sweet, and easy before the much bigger wedding day.

Oh-and it is considered poor form not to include the dates of your WP in the RD invitation, particularly if they're married, engaged, or in a LTR.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards