Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

~ Sunday! ~

Not sure if anyone will be around on these boards today, but what the heck? ;-)
Anniversary Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: ~ Sunday! ~

• Hi! 
    I'm debating running errands today...or taking naps. :)
  • Hello! Working and more working...did you guys know there are thousands of cheerleaders in downtown and they are everywhere! I will be napping asap.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Crash -- I vote naps!  I'm already ready to take one! LOL

roseofdeborah -- downtown in which city? 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:d6437e80-53fa-45b2-b5a3-c4a9f484aefc">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]Crash -- <strong>I vote naps! </strong> I'm already ready to take one! LOL roseofdeborah -- downtown in which city? 
    Posted by angelsong21[/QUOTE]
    Me too. <div>FI got up and he's being a total brat today. </div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:46dc380e-d063-4939-9224-3b63ec92fe3b">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hello! Working and more working...did you guys know there are thousands of cheerleaders in downtown and they are everywhere! I will be napping asap.
    Posted by roseofdeborah[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha, the cheer coach at my school has been posting about competition on facebook all weekend!  Good luck with that!</div><div>
    </div><div>FIL is finishing up our tax return for us.  I usually do my own, but we're filing jointly and I wanted to make sure it got done correctly (especially with H changing jobs last year).  Good thing, too, because FIL came across some payment H was supposed to get from his old job as some sort of deferred compensation that H may have never actually gotten, but we have to report it on his taxes.  It's fine, but it eats away at our refund AND it's a pretty hefty amount for them to claim but never pay us.</div><div>
    </div><div>We're going to head to church, have some lunch, and then H really needs to get on the road and go back to the big city.</div>
    Anniversary

• I wish H would do our taxes already. I love getting that extra money, even though the last few years it hasn't been too much. This is my first year not having to file a state return! (I usually had to pay in for state taxes in WI, for some reason.)

Amy, I saw your comment on my dog comment. It's awful, I know, but I feel similarly to your FI! It's taken me a long time to warm up to small dogs with more smushed-in faces. Actually, our compromise is that I'm trying to find a Boston mix so it actually has a more pronounced nose. (H's relatives own Bostons, and we visit them frequently, and the dogs get excited and snuffle and snort for the next hour ... until someone actually physically does something to their nose to help them breathe!)

I blame this dog adoption process for why I have been on TK and TN all day yesterday and now again today! I keep checking my email, hoping for feedback. I really need to be running errands.

I also *may* have started adding doggie items to my Amazon cart. So far I have food/water bowls and a little doggie bed. I know I need a leash (and food, once I find out what kind she already eats). What am I missing?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:70d7ed07-589c-4994-a6aa-93347782afe0">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ~ Sunday! ~ : Haha, the cheer coach at my school has been posting about competition on facebook all weekend!  Good luck with that! FIL is finishing up our tax return for us.  I usually do my own, but we're filing jointly and I wanted to make sure it got done correctly (especially with H changing jobs last year).  Good thing, too, because FIL came across some payment H was supposed to get from his old job as some sort of deferred compensation that H may have never actually gotten, but we have to report it on his taxes.  It's fine, but it eats away at our refund AND i<strong>t's a pretty hefty amount for them to claim but never pay us.</strong> We're going to head to church, have some lunch, and then H really needs to get on the road and go back to the big city.
    Posted by professorscience[/QUOTE]<div>Is there no way for H to question them about it? </div><div>Perhaps they wrote the check but something happened to it? 

</div>
  • Just finished my half and did WAY better than anticipated. The weather was absolutely perfect, and I'm kind of mad that I slacked so much on my training. If I had trained like normal, combined with this weather, I could have reached my goal time I've had ever since I started running!
    My mom turns 50 next week and this was her FOURTH half. Not only that, but as soon as she's done, she gets on the bike and tries to find my dad in the sea of full marathoners to ride in with him. She does this at every race, since she's always half and he's always full.
    So now I'm going to be joining everyone else in a NAP.
    And my endorphines are still going, so I'm in a very good mood. Shame to waste it on sleep, but whatevs.
  • Downtown Dallas....and yeah its a nightmare lol. 

cwaggoner- I've been trying to figure out how to go from not being a runner to being able to run long distances. Glad you got it finished!

professor- tax returns are crazy....its so much easier when you know someone who knows how to do them. Thankfully my father is a CPA...makes life much easier. 

2 more hours and I'll be out of here and napping!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2012
    I posted an hour ago, but now I don't see it. I'm not sure what exactly TK did on Friday, but it sure wasn't fixing the wonkiness with the boards. ETA: Never mind, now it showed up. Oh, TK!!!

Amy -- have you made any decisions about what to do about your REA? I saw your post on Buying a Home and was sad for you. You've had some bad luck throughout this process, but I also think your REA isn't being as helpful as they could. I really want to give you our buyer's agent info if you're thinking of switching, because he completely guided us through the entire process and just made it so easy. I wish you were having an easier time of it.
  • rose - hey, I say... get in where you fit in. I absolutely LOVE running, but a friend tried to take me to yoga one time and I absolutely hated it. She is the complete opposite, and HATES running. She just won't do it.
    If you're miserable when you work out, you will always find an excuse not to do it. You just have to find what you really like to do.
    Whatever works! :)
  • cwaggoner -- congrats on your time on the half!  I would love to work up to running a half.  Unfortunately, I'm so unmotivated.  I used to run all the time and since I stopped, I've gained 40 lbs and lost all motivation I had to do anything about it.  I have a hard enough time doing JM's 30 minute videos 5 days a week! :(

Amanda - I HATE doing tax returns.  I get back money again this year (yay for being a student...) but its not much.  I'm glad I don't owe, but the SS office has my DOB wrong so I can't e-file.  I have to do it all the old school way, and I'm just too lazy for all of that.

MarieSD -- Your dog comments made FI smile and say, "HA, told you so!"  LOL.  It's what I grew up with so I've never thought about their faces looking "smashed in."  Our Shih Tzus have always been incredibly smart, low maintenance, and super loving. Also way cheaper to feed than a big dog. :)

We're actually going out with our REA this afternoon to look at a few places.  We're thinking maybe smaller houses with better quality, in better neighborhoods that appreciate well might be a better option here.  I'm okay with the idea but we haven't looked at any smaller houses - this trip will be our first.  I'm still on the fence about our REA.  There are some moments where it feels she genuinely wants to work hard for us while at other times she says things like, "well, you may just need to keep saving up for awhile... this one house we lost was a rare opportunity and we missed it."  That's not really what I want to hear from my REA.  What I want to hear is, "Hey, you know what?  Yes, we missed a big opportunity with that house.  But its spring, and there will be all sorts of houses coming on the market soon.  You might need to readjust your thinking in terms of what you can get size-wise with the money you have to spend, but I know we can find you a great little house in a great neighborhood if we work hard at it."   If we decide to start looking for another REA, you will absolutely be the first person I contact for a name and number!  :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:fdd4d7fb-6aba-4f2a-94c5-07573559c647">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE] I blame this dog adoption process for why I have been on TK and TN all day yesterday and now again today! I keep checking my email, hoping for feedback. I really need to be running errands. I also *may* have started adding doggie items to my Amazon cart. So far I have food/water bowls and a little doggie bed. I know I need a leash (and food, once I find out what kind she already eats). What am I missing?
    Posted by MarieSD[/QUOTE]

I would probably be doing the same thing, though -- sitting on the interwebz waiting for that feedback. And I would definitely be buying doggy things on Amazon as well.  Our dogs never liked doggy beds... don't know why.  They always like to sleep on the carpet in front of the window when the sun was streaming in, the hardwood/tile floors, or on the bed.  You definitely need a good leash,  the right size collar, and non-irritating shampoo and coat conditioner.  We always bought Johnson-&-Johnson's baby shampoo (the yellow stuff) to wash their faces so we didn't irritate their eyes and ears.  What about awesome doggy toys?!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:5c375b91-27e9-4d1f-a839-4442b18536ec">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]You definitely need a good leash,  the right size collar, and non-irritating shampoo and coat conditioner.  We always bought Johnson-&-Johnson's baby shampoo (the yellow stuff) to wash their faces so we didn't irritate their eyes and ears.  What about awesome doggy toys?!

I totally forgot about dog shampoo -- thanks! Yes, we definitely need toys -- although for that, I think H and I will actually go to Petsmart and pick them out (and try them out, in the case of squeaky toys) in the store, like two kids in a candy store :)

I actually finally just got out of the house, and went to Lowes to buy new (chrome) fixtures for our guest bathroom (currently tarnished copper). The main reason I wanted to replace all the fixtures now? So I could buy a handheld shower unit to make it easier to bathe our future dog :)
  • cwaggoner07cwaggoner07 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker
    edited February 2012
    I have a friend that works for a dog/cat toy manufacturer and he tells me all the time not to shop at Petsmart and Petco because of their ridiculous markups. You really can find a lot of the same stuff at Wal Mart and Target. The only things they have going for them are their good selection of dog foods. That's all I buy there, because puppy has sensitive skin and can't eat wheat dog food or he becomes very pink (yes I am Over-Concerned Dog Lady).
    RE the dog bed... McFly LOVES his. If you are planning to crate, you will need one of those as well. He loves his crate, too. Water and food bowls, toys, Resolve for Pets (trust me on this one).
  • cwaggoner -- good call on the crate!  I agree with you as well about not buying anything other than food at Petsmart and Petco.  They really do have absolutely ridiculous markups.  Target has a surprising amount of pet stuff, at least at the one by our apartment.  Walmart has a decent selection too. 

So we definitely found a house we LOVE today.  And its in our price range.  Its MUCH smaller than we wanted, but we think we can easily make it work. Maybe this time no one else will beat us to the punch and/or outbid us!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:7123534e-25a9-4afb-a46b-f92be0960c83">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]cwaggoner -- good call on the crate!  I agree with you as well about not buying anything other than food at Petsmart and Petco.  They really do have absolutely ridiculous markups.  Target has a surprising amount of pet stuff, at least at the one by our apartment.  Walmart has a decent selection too.  So we definitely found a house we LOVE today.  And its in our price range.  Its MUCH smaller than we wanted, but we think we can easily make it work. Maybe this time no one else will beat us to the punch and/or outbid us!

I'm so hopeful for you!!!! I can't imagine doing all this so close to your wedding. Major props.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:c8be4221-5ca6-446b-bbd0-15c5774380ff">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ~ Sunday! ~ : I'm so hopeful for you!!!! I can't imagine doing all this so close to your wedding. Major props.
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

Thanks!  We're crossing our fingers and hoping everything comes back clear on it so we can go ahead and put in our offer.  Neeeeervous.

It hasn't been too bad doing house and wedding stuff on top of school and work (but my school is pretty minimal this semester, just 2 classes).  I've had some moments where I've felt like I was going to lose it, but for the most part, it's been pretty doable. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:0d8a5839-ee8d-46d3-8539-7b5032aed28f">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]I have a friend that works for a dog/cat toy manufacturer and he tells me all the time not to shop at Petsmart and Petco because of their ridiculous markups.<strong> You really can find a lot of the same stuff at Wal Mart and Target. </strong>The only things they have going for them are their good selection of dog foods. That's all I buy there, because puppy has sensitive skin and can't eat wheat dog food or he becomes very pink (yes I am Over-Concerned Dog Lady). RE the dog bed... McFly LOVES his. If you are planning to crate, you will need one of those as well. He loves his crate, too. Water and food bowls, toys, Resolve for Pets (trust me on this one).
    Posted by cwaggoner07[/QUOTE]

I shop at several different Targets and I have not found this to be true for cats.  Petsmart carries digestive grass that Rascal really likes.  Target doesn't carry grass for cats.  Plus, they have their own toys now it seems (Boots and Barkly) and their cat area is very limited. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:cc59abd3-5b6a-41ce-924a-44d7c1a9540f">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ~ Sunday! ~ : Is there no way for H to question them about it?  Perhaps they wrote the check but something happened to it? 
    Posted by crash2729[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, he's going to call them and try to get to the bottom of it tomorrow, I hope.</div>
    Anniversary

• You can request that the company either issue a corrected W-2 or issue the money.
    I know for what I do, when a business received an IRS form stating that they received more income than they actually did (with accurate books and record to back it up), we record a Miscellaneous Expense for the difference and write a short explanation that the revenue was never received.
    I'm not sure how that would work with an individual though.
  • Thanks for the tip on PetSmart. I used to go there every year and send my brother the most obnoxious squeaky toys for his hyperactive dog, but it always seemed to me I'd spend something ridiculous, like $30, on just a toy. I've tried not to do that anymore, and that was when it was just a once-a-year thing! So, yeah, I think we'll be hitting Walmart's dog isle instead.

I know my mom used to get her rawhide dog bones at the dollar store when I was in HS because that was the cheapest place to get them.

Amy -- what's the square footage of what you were looking at vs what you're now looking at? Just curious. We have ~1600 sq ft - 3 bed, 2 bath. It's perfect for now, but will probably be cramped if we have 2-3 kids in elementary school. We'll just have to see. Good luck on this one!!!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:5b29193c-eb8b-4392-9359-277407eb1c5e">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]Amy -- what's the square footage of what you were looking at vs what you're now looking at? Just curious. We have ~1600 sq ft - 3 bed, 2 bath. It's perfect for now, but will probably be cramped if we have 2-3 kids in elementary school. We'll just have to see. Good luck on this one!!!

We were looking at homes over 1800 sq ft.  We were basically disregarding most everything else that was below that.  However, what we are looking at now is 1350-1599 sq ft.  The house we love is the smallest one we have looked at -  1350 sq ft.  I thought it would feel way too small but it doesn't at all.  We don't plan on having kids for awhile and even then, maybe just 1 or 2.  I think we could probably get 7 years out of this house for our needs, but I guess we'll find out!
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:c37877f1-71ec-4080-bad9-d1be769af99b">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ~ Sunday! ~ : We were looking at homes over 1800 sq ft.  We were basically disregarding most everything else that was below that.  However, what we are looking at now is 1350-1599 sq ft.  The house we love is the smallest one we have looked at -  1350 sq ft.  I thought it would feel way too small but it doesn't at all.  We don't plan on having kids for awhile and even then, maybe just 1 or 2.  I think we could probably get 7 years out of this house for our needs, but I guess we'll find out!

So much depends on the rooms and layouts, it's amazing! When I first went inside this house, I thought for sure it was one of the 2000 sq ft houses we had on our list. Nope -- this one was the smallest we saw all day, but it felt the biggest.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:9ce5cbd8-16a9-4d27-aceb-1dec4e51180e">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ~ Sunday! ~ : So much depends on the rooms and layouts, it's amazing! When I first went inside this house, I thought for sure it was one of the 2000 sq ft houses we had on our list. Nope -- this one was the smallest we saw all day, but it felt the biggest.

It IS crazy!

And now I'm frustrated with REA again.  Said she would e-mail us the comps tonight.  Text her bc I didn't get said e-mail and now she states she will do it in the morning.  Excellent.  We are waiting these to make a determination on the house and whether or not we need to go back and see it again and make the offer.  That requires us to cancel appointments, ask to leave early from work, etc.  So now I get to figure out a way to check my e-mail at work tomorrow and then get all the info to FI at his work and somehow discuss it with him........

:::grumble, grumble, grumble:::
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:36652b47-162e-443f-81b4-a905f5df03e8">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ~ Sunday! ~ : It IS crazy! And now I'm frustrated with REA again.  Said she would e-mail us the comps tonight.  Text her bc I didn't get said e-mail and now she states she will do it in the morning.  Excellent.  We are waiting these to make a determination on the house and whether or not we need to go back and see it again and make the offer.  That requires us to cancel appointments, ask to leave early from work, etc.  So now I get to figure out a way to check my e-mail at work tomorrow and then get all the info to FI at his work and somehow discuss it with him........ :::grumble, grumble, grumble:::

That is frustrating! I wonder why she'd suddenly change her mind? It's not like she didn't know it was a Sunday night when she offered to get those comps for you tonight!

Maybe you guys could agree tonight on a game plan if the comps come back a certain way? The day we put in our offer, I actually had to handle it all because H was in meetings all day. The night before, he and I agreed on our asking price and also what our final offer/walk-away point would be. So, I handled the negotiation myself within those parameters.

Honestly, though, I didn't take the comps too much into consideration, other than listening to my REA tell me the house's asking price was in line with them. I was already in information overload by that point.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_sunday-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:732f3bf8-8e49-4247-8c12-2854e8d084e8Post:7d1cc6f2-3842-468a-bbcb-5c013b6e23ff">Re: ~ Sunday! ~</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: ~ Sunday! ~ : That is frustrating! I wonder why she'd suddenly change her mind? It's not like she didn't know it was a Sunday night when she offered to get those comps for you tonight! Maybe you guys could agree tonight on a game plan if the comps come back a certain way? The day we put in our offer, I actually had to handle it all because H was in meetings all day. The night before, he and I agreed on our asking price and also what our final offer/walk-away point would be. So, I handled the negotiation myself within those parameters. Honestly, though, I didn't take the comps too much into consideration, other than listening to my REA tell me the house's asking price was in line with them. I was already in information overload by that point.

If H was at work, how did you do the contract and such without his signature?  We've only put in two offers thusfar and we were both present each time, so I didn't know that there were any other options. 

Our main concern with the price is that it's priced aggressively considering that there's.... a water tower behind the house.  It's not immediately behind the house - its still some distance away - but its still close enough to the house that it would deter some buyers I'm sure.  It doesn't bother us at all, but knowing it does bother some buyers, we want to make sure that the house's price reflects that "blemish."  We're relying on REA to provide us some sort of data to let us know either way because I have no clue how something like that should effect the price.  I guess I could always take to Google and see if anyone has posted anything about it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards