Pre-wedding Parties

Wedding Shower Guest List

I recently found out that my fmil has a list of guests she'd like invited to my shower (being hosted by my mom's sister). I had already come up with a list (not sent out yet) of my close friends and family, only 23 people to invite. The only people from my fi's side I invited were his mother and grandmother. I've only met the people she wants to invite once, at fi's graduation party 2 years ago (and some of them not at all).

I'm struggling with what to do because I realize that deep down she wants to invite these people because she's excited for the wedding, but I'm afraid we'll end up with more of her friends than mine. Any advice?
Follow Me (and my wedding!) on Pinterest
50 in 2012 Reading Challenge: 2 books read
my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Wedding Shower Guest List

• vk2204vk2204 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited December 2011
    Does it really matter who has more friends there?

How does your FI feel? Does he want those people to be invited? Will they be invited to the wedding? If not, then they shouldn't be invited to any pre-wedding parties. How many is on your FMIL's list? If it is an outrageous number, I would ask her maybe to scale it down a bit (keep it to family and close friends only?). But I would definitely make room for her list.
  • krizzo17krizzo17 member
    edited December 2011
    I would just like to actually know some of the people at my party, lol. My concern is that she'll invite people we didn't invite to the wedding in an attempt to get them a last minute invite (When we asked her if we missed anyone on our guest list, she added over 40 people, most of whom we had never met).

I think since the shower is going to be at my aunt's apartment, we're just going to set a cap number of people to invite, and she can figure out who from her list fills the invites I don't use.
    my read shelf:

Katie Rizzo's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • vk2204vk2204 member
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_wedding-shower-guest-list?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:88b6bc8c-7d32-474f-a13b-667cd3f806a0Post:225010b5-df7f-49b4-954f-51da247c33ce">Re: Wedding Shower Guest List</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would just like to actually know some of the people at my party, lol. My concern is that she'll invite people we didn't invite to the wedding in an attempt to get them a last minute invite (When we asked her if we missed anyone on our guest list, she added over 40 people, most of whom we had never met).   I think since the shower is going to be at my aunt's apartment, <strong>we're just going to set a cap number of people to invite</strong>, and she can figure out who from her list fills the invites I don't use.
    Posted by krizzo17[/QUOTE]

I think that will be best, but I wouldn't limit her to only 5 or so people. I would say "my aunt only has room for X amount of people, we are already up to 23(or more) guests including you and GMA. Please remember to only invite people who will be invited to the wedding, and our guest list is at max capacity so we cannot add anymore".

Good luck!
  • krizzo17krizzo17 member
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys :) I think I'm just projecting my general life stress onto the wedding since you're "Supposed" to be stressed about that. As of yesterday, only 6 months to go!
    my read shelf:

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AZMagnini14AZMagnini14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FMIL threw a shower with 40 people... I knew 3... thats life. Kept her happy for the time being. I had my sister (MOH) mom and gradma with me. But hey we got lots of good stuff! lol
    BabyFetus Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards