Pre-wedding Parties

bridal shower

In a previous post I learned that the bridal shower is thrown for you, usually by your maid of honor or someone in the bridal party. I never knew this, I just assumed I would throw one for myself.

I'm not having a bridal party... so does that mean I just wait around to see if someone throws me a shower? I have an older sister, but she is developmentally disabled so she definitely won't be throwing me one, and my fiance's 4 sisters aren't too fond of me so they're out too. What would happen in this type of situation?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: bridal shower

• SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Bridal showers are not always thrown by the bridal party. Think about how expensive it is to be in someone's wedding.. the dress.. the shoes.. gifts.. maybe traveling costs.. hotel costs.. hair and makeup.. etc.. now tack on renting out a place or paying for a restaurant to hold a bridal shower and then also the bachelorette party. It's really expensive, and that's why I've seen other family members step up and host the bridal shower at least in a lot of the showers I've been to. I know my mom footed the bill for mine, but my BM's were listed as the hosts on the invitation and were a huge help with the planning and decorating.

Bottom line is anyone aside from the bride can host the bridal shower. Your mom.. FMIL.. your sister.. your aunt.. your grandma.. a friend of the family.. your best friend.. etc.. You can't throw your own shower because it's a party in honor of you and a gift giving event. Even if you don't intend it to be, it comes off as atttention-whorish and gift grabby. If someone is going to throw you a shower, they will. And if you don't have a bridal shower, you'll still be just as married on your wedding day. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:8ee80860-eec8-4ef5-8d16-f81f0636f2eePost:8a1a6804-4126-4b70-86fb-23c2e20217ac">bridal shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]In a previous post I learned that the bridal shower is thrown for you, usually by your maid of honor or someone in the bridal party. I never knew this, I just assumed I would throw one for myself. I'm not having a bridal party... so does that mean I just wait around to see if someone throws me a shower? I have an older sister, but she is developmentally disabled so she definitely won't be throwing me one, and my fiance's 4 sisters aren't too fond of me so they're out too. What would happen in this type of situation?
    Posted by camberscb[/QUOTE]

Anyone can throw a shower these days.  It's usually not the bridal party since this economy and them being young and unable to host events esp if they don't even have their own place, so that is nothing to worry about that you don't have bridal party.

An aunt, cousin, friend, co-worker, neighbor, parent, in laws, grandparents, etc. can throw you a shower.. wait around and see what happens, but you def can't throw one yourself.  That is tacky.  You can't throw a party for yourself.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited December 2011
    Summer Kutie- where did you get your head piece at.  I will be in a wedding next July and my friend still needs a headpiece.  They are hard to find the right one. 
  • edited December 2011
    Also, your hair style was beautiful, with the tiara and all too
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_bridal-shower-15?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:32Discussion:8ee80860-eec8-4ef5-8d16-f81f0636f2eePost:dfff6398-3a97-4606-914f-3d5ca2b21dbc">Re: bridal shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]Summer Kutie- where did you get your head piece at.  I will be in a wedding next July and my friend still needs a headpiece.  They are hard to find the right one. 
    Posted by PeonyPrincesskdd[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I just googled butterfly hairpieces and ended up getting it through a website on thefind.com.

<a href="http://www.thefind.com/gifts/browse-butterfly-bridal-tiara" rel="nofollow">http://www.thefind.com/gifts/browse-butterfly-bridal-tiara</a>
  • mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    OP basically what would happen in this situation is that if no one offers to throw you a shower you don't get one.  Alot of people would think you were rude and selfish if you threw it yourself.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    I honestly didn't know who was supposed to throw the shower... I haven't been to too many of them so that's why I asked. I would never want to seem rude or "tacky".
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards