Pre-wedding Parties

Too casual rehearsal dinner?

Hey guys! Feedback needed... We're thinking of doing a pretty laid-back rehearsal dinner. After we run through the ceremony I was thinking of just heading to a park and doing a pot-luck supper with maybe bean bags or some games. Is that too casual for a rehearsal dinner? My future in-laws haven't been super involved with the planning process so far, so I'm not sure if they were going to take charge of the rehearsal dinner as in "tradition". Our families don't know each other very well yet so I felt a casual picnic-y dinner would be more relaxed and encourage conversation. We have a small wedding party with two each, plus our flowergirl. It's a July wedding so it should be decent weather-wise and I'm planning on talking to the paster about using the church gym as a weather backup. Sound ok/appropriate for a rehearsal dinner? Thanks! :)
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Too casual rehearsal dinner?

• AdeleDazeemAdeleDazeem member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    There's no such thing as too casual a rehearsal dinner - it should be whatever you want it to be.

However - pot luck is not okay.  The rehearsal dinner is a thank you for everyone taking time out of their day to come and rehearse your ceremony.  Asking them to provide their own meal isn't a real thank you at all.  The hosts should be providing the food.

I'd order a few pizzas and liters of coke to bring with you.  Or some fried chicken.  Or deli sandwiches.  Really, whatever you want.  It doesn't have to be formal or involve alcohol, but you and your fiance (if you are hosting) need to provide the food.

Good luck!!
  • edited December 2011

I agree with Joy.

Your picnic idea sounds lovely and there is no such thing as too casual-I have actually found the more casual RDs to be the more enojoyable ones. However, potluck it not a good idea. You need to provide all of the food and beverage as this is a thank you to those involved with the wedding.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • McKenna2012McKenna2012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Agree!  Don't ask guests to provide the food for that. We are also having a really casual RD and are just going to do pizza. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Photobucket
  • tstegertsteger member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited December 2011
    a friend ded Great American BBQ catering, super casual, fun and yummy!
  • jrbyjrby member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
     I think we will probably put together potato salad, sandwiches, pasta salad, just some easy stuff! Thank you all for your input!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Sounds like a good plan!  Keep it simple.
  • vinnyv11vinnyv11 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We are doing a "Welcome to Town" open house at our house the night before the wedding.  We just plan on getting a few trays of food, a few cases of beer, some wine, champagne, sodas, and we told everyone to stop over and have a drink and some food as they get into town.  We are doing a walk through with the day of coordinator on Thursday with just our best man (since he lives near us and the rest of the BP is from out of town).  So we arn't actually doing a rehearsal or rehearsal dinner.

I think the picinic in the park sounds wonderful. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards