Pre-wedding Parties

Shower Question - Would this be weird?

Hello ladies! I don't normally post on TK but I am a regular over at TB and thought would reach out to you regarding my sister's Bridal Shower.

Her wedding is scheduled for July 7, 2012. I am due with my first baby May 22, 2012. My mom and I want to stretch out the time between our showers and the wedding if we can. We feel bad asking so much of our families within a relatively short amount of time. Also, my sister's fiance will be moving into their house at the end of the year. He will be living their full time and I am sure my sister will be there most of the time but not officially living their until after the wedding.

So, my question is this. Would it be weird to have her shower in late January? That way her shower would be late January, my shower would be in early April and then her wedding in July. That way there is about a two months in between each event for our families to have a break.  Also, they would have everything they need in the house for fiance to use.

Thank you so much for your input it is greatly appreciated!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Shower Question - Would this be weird?

• edited December 2011
    Yes, that would be weird to me. Showers are ususally held no more than 2 months out from the wedding. I don't think you need to be so concerned about putting your family out because they are for 2 separate events that I'm sure they'd love to celebrate. 

Also, shower gifts and any other gifts received before the wedding are not supposed to be used until after the wedding. In case it doesn't happen for whatever reason, all those gifts would need to be returned. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    It's odd to have such a large gap between the wedding and shower, but it happens. We BMs threw a shower for my good friend in late April for her late September wedding, so there was a 5 month gap there. We did it so early because one of the BMs lives in CA (we are all in MI) and she really wanted to be there for the shower, but she was going to be in Finland for the entire summer. It was the only time that worked. No one seemed to mind.

I think it would be considerate of you to space the events like that, but also check with your sister to see what she thinks.

I agree with waltzingmatilda that shower gifts should not be used until after the wedding.
  • edited December 2011
    Congratualtions on the baby!

Usually bridal showers are given within the 2 weeks up until 3 months before the wedding. It would make more sense to move your baby shower to an earlier date, since the baby will be born before the wedding. I'd have the baby shower in March and the wedding shower at the end of April/begining of May. Don't worry about spacing things evenly.

Ditto the posters who said the shower and wedding gifts should not be used until after the wedding.

• edited December 2011
    Thank you so much for the input so far! I had actually never heard of not using the gifts until after the wedding. I don't know how I had never heard that before, that makes perfect sense. I guess I have never had an experience were there was a shower but no wedding.

This is all my Mom's idea and she cleared it with my sister and suggested it to me this weekend. I felt it was a little weird to have the shower that early. I'm so glad I asked for others opinions. Thank you again.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • MsAmeera25MsAmeera25 member
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I would do your shower in April as planned and have her shower in June. I would not want my shower 5+ months away from my wedding

• AZMagnini14AZMagnini14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My shower was this past weekend (exactly 3 months before my wedding). Due to the holiday crazines. And even that seems really far away. Your sister would have to find room to store all those gifts for 6 months! It is a pain to have gifts that you can't use and store. We're dealing with that now just for the 3 months. Move YOURS up.
    BabyFetus Ticker image
  • edited December 2011
    I don't see any reason why that wouldn't work as long as both you and your sister are comfortable with it. I understand why your doing the baby shower later in the year ( have to be super- showing for pictures) Maybe move her shower to Feb instead that way she isn't housing gifts for 6 months? I understand you'd like to make it easier for family, depending on how close you and your sister are you could always do a joint "shower" in ApriI, just had two of my friends do it, it was a Wedding Bells and Baby Carriages themed tea decorated in all white. Super super cute but not for everybody.
  • edited December 2011
    I would find it a bit odd if I was invited to a shower almost 6 months before the wedding. It sucks that some people may not be able to make it, but that's what it is. Two of my BMs didn't come to mine because they lived too far away and couldn't travel for that and the wedding money-wise. It sucked, but I totally understand. If your family really wants to attend all those events and can afford it, they'll make it work. And no matter what, you will never find a date that 100% of your guest list can attend (or it's extremely rare!) because people have other stuff going on.

I'd do her shower no earlier than sometime in May. Maybe early May if you are due the 22nd. That's still two months before her wedding, so plenty of time in between IMO.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards