Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Engagement party with cash bar?

So my mom is planning our engagement party, and she is on a tight budget. There is a wine bar that my fianc and I frequent and I was thinking about having it there. They have an upstairs loft that you can reserve for free, but everyone has to pay for their own food, drinks, wine, etc.

Is it tacky/bad etiquette to throw a party and ask people to pay?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Engagement party with cash bar?

• Options
    Yes, it's tacky to expect guests to pay their own way. In your case the host would not be providing anything, but a free space.

An engagement party is not a necessity. In fact, I don't know anyone that has had one. Why not skip the engagement party?

• Options
    I agree with Poppy on this one.

• Options
    Ditto. If she can't really afford to host one, then I would not have one at all. They aren't required and I've never been invited to one my whole life. If you do decide to have one, everything should be hosted. You could have an e-party without alcohol, but the food/soft drinks would still need to be hosted.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Ditto pp's yes it's very tacky to invite people to what should be a hosted event and have them pay for their own food and/or drinks.

If your mom is on a limited budget, why not have the party at someone's home? Our engagement party was a cocktail party at home hosted by our parents. It was a lot of fun to get dressed up, and celebrate our engagement with our familes and close friends. There were hors d'ouvres, cocktails, a champagne toast, chocolate covered strawberries, and a cake. To us, it was perfect. we didn't need another event held at a restaurant or country club leading up to the big day.

Remember, like the pp's mentioned, engagement parties are definitely not necessary. A lot of people don't have them, and there are lot of girls who frequent these boards that have never even heard of them until coming to the knot. So, if you have to skip it due to budget reasons, it's no big deal.
  • Options
    HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited July 2012
    Your guests should not be expected to pay for anything. It's tacky. If your mom can not afford to be a proper host skip the e party.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    This would be a huge no no.

Why can't it be in someone's home?  Our e-party was at MIL & FIL's house where they hosted 40 people for cocktails and dinner.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards