Pre-wedding Parties

Unique places to hold a shower?

Okay, so my sister is throwing me a shower, and cannot afford to do a full catered meal.  So we are trying to find a place that can accommodate at least 60 people (that is how many we are inviting, being just aunts, cousins and a few friends, large family! if they don't all show up, great!)

Anyways, we are thinking to keep costs down do a wine and cheese party or something similar . . . but again, since we are inviting 60, we can't have it at a house, so we are trying to think of some great unique places that will let us bring in our own food and beverages . . .

any ideas??

Re: Unique places to hold a shower?

• edited December 2011
    Do you have any community centers in your area? They usually rent out the space and have kitchens, then you can do whatever you want.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited December 2011
    Is a church basement not an option?  A lot of churches have nice facilities, but that obviously depends on your faith and if you currently have a church.  

If not, what time of year are you doing it?  I would look at outdoor areas.  If you have a lake in the area they often have shelter houses for rent or even grilling areas that are free.
  • bekkabuttbekkabutt member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thank you ladies for the advice! 

I would love to scale back the invite list, but I wouldn't know who to cut, and I would feel like I was hurting people's feelings . . . because I know that everyone would hear about the shower . . . for being a large family, they are all very close! :)

I like the idea of the "open house" . . . and we are going to check out community centers this weekend too!

Thank you again!
  • edited December 2011

I also have a very large family, who all live out of town, so my aunties hosted a big (50 guests) bridal shower.  We had it at a local art gallery and the wine and appetizer thing and it was a big hit!!

• Kristin789Kristin789 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Maybe the Laura A. Sprague gallery on the 2nd floor of J building at Joliet Junior College? 

Prairie View Gallery on State Street?

The lobby of the Rialto?
  • edited December 2011
    Maybe they could look into holding it at a dessert place, like an ice cream shop.
  • edited December 2011
    Mine is much smaller than OP's, but we're doing it at the dance studio where MOH teaches ballet and having wine and apps. 

• edited December 2011
    My shower is going to be at the hotel that I have a room block setup for the night of the reception.  They have a meeting/banquet facility and they gave me half price on the rental because I have a room block!  The best part about it is, we can bring in our own food and since we are having light things such as finger foods, the shower should be pretty inexpensive but beautiful all in the same!
  • stephasuasustephasuasu member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I say scale back on the shower, to the point where your sister can afford food for people! If people bring gifts, they expect to eat too! Have any other relatives or friends offered to through a shower? If so, take them up on it! This would really help your sister out. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards