Pre-wedding Parties
Options

Engagment party

Is it appropriate to plan your own engagement party? Is there a time frame since the engagment in which it shoudl be done? FI and I have been engaged for 2 and a half months, and doesn't seem like anyone is particularly interested in having a party for that event (yes everyones thoughts when we got engaged were "about time" but still...) But I am not sure if it is appropriate to have one so far after the engagement, and if we can host it ourselves, cuz my parents certainly have no interest in doing so.

What do you ladies think?

Thanks.

Re: Engagment party

• Options
    quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should not plan your own engagement party.  They aren't required, so it's no big deal if you don't have one.
    Married 10/2/10
  • Options
    AnnaM1031AnnaM1031 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I agree- not appropriate to throw your own party. Usually it's the parents of the bride who would host. My parents threw one for us, and it was 6 months after our engagement (I know- a little far out). We're having an 18 month engagement, plus we wanted to wait for the weather to get a little nicer, and we had a family member with some health issues.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    No you guys shouldn't host your own engagement party. Ours was thrown my our parents and it was 2 months after we got engaged, and we're having a 16 month engagement.

Anyone other than the bride and groom can host the party.. your parents.. aunts..uncles.. cousins.. friends.. grandparents. And as pp mentioned, they're not mandatory, so if you guys don't end up having one it's not a big deal.
  • Options
    trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pps:  you should not plan your own e-party.  If you don't have one, you don't have one.

FWIW:  I don't know anybody who's actually had an e-party IRL.  They're just not done in our circle.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • Options
    smileybesmileybe member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Yeah, just wait and see if someone offers to plan you one.  If not, then you can't really do anything.  I didn't have one, and I didn't really mind.  And now that I think of it, no one that I know who is getting married is going to have one.  I guess they're not all that common around here, although I'm not sure what people you know do.   If someone throws you one, great!  If not, it's not all that big of a deal.  
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Just saying-

Both Miss Manners and Emily Post say the couple may host their own engagement party, especially as a gathering of friends and/or a chance for the families to meet.

FI and I wanted to have an engagement party since our wedding is several years away. While people on this board may disagree, and call me whatever you like, we are having an e-party at my mother's house (paid for by FI and I because while my Mom was happy having the party for us, I did not want to burdon her with the cost).

I say do what makes you happy. If people do not like it or do not want to come, they do not have to. End of story. But I am sure everyone here will tell you I am wrong, even though I have Emily Post and Miss Manners on my side. Foot in mouth

Cat

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    lionessd3lionessd3 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Nonsense about not planning your own party!  You can do whatever you want, it's your life.  If you want a party, have a party.  Relying on other people to celebrate your life is a recipe for disappointment.  I just got engaged on Feb. 14th, and my fiance and I didn't bother waiting for someone to throw us a party--we planned it ourselves, for 2 months after the engagement.  It's gonna be awesome!  Our families will have a chance to meet, and we are going to give out "Save the Date" party favors.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards