Pre-wedding Parties

Uh-oh! What do I say?

Every bridal shower I've been to since the dawn of time seems to have this happen... but the bride just sits there smiling awkwardly...

What do you say when you get 2 of the same gift (i.e. toaster oven, bread machine, standing mixer) and its blatantly obvious that you will only keep one?  I don't want to just thank them and place said object next to its twin or is that the polite thing to do?  I want to show my sincere appreciation for the gift but I don't want the giver (or myself) to feel awkward.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Uh-oh! What do I say?

• OBX2011OBX2011 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I received multiple of the same items and I was very gracious and said thank you.  No one really noticed that I had 2 of the same thing b/c I doubt you will open the same gift back to back.  If anyone does notice, simply laugh it off and make a joke of it.

On a side-note, you would think that most people would pay attention to the part that says "purchased" on your registry, lol.

• edited December 2011
    It's polite to thank each giver for their gifts, duplicate or not. It shouldn't be awkward, at all. Just say something like "great minds think alike." Hopefully, at that point, one of the guests will mention that she will forward the receipt to you or tell you where to exchange the gift.

• edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice!  With the bridal shower (and about a million things left on the wedding to-do list) on Sunday - ugly Christmas sweater themed, my mind has been going a mile a minute!  I even had a dream that I only received was egg poachers - about 20 of them - and I don't even like eggs!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • AZMagnini14AZMagnini14 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I got two kitchen aid mixers. Its hard to pretend you didnt just see a huge box with a mixer in it. I thanked them both and everyone laughed. It was quickly forgotten about by everyone. No big deal. :)
    BabyFetus Ticker image
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards