Pre-wedding Parties

Jack and Jill Shower Games

Hi guys, My cousin is getting married a week after me and my aunts are throwing him and his fiance and jack and jill shower. I have been put in charge of coming up with a game. The only thing I can think of is "The Almost Newlywed Game" and "Who Wants to Be A Newlywed" I like the first better because more people play. Do you have any other good ideas for a game to get more people involved? If you think I should go w/ the almost newlywed game, can you help me come up with some questions to ask. Bride to be is pretty shy and I think she would be easily embarrassed. I normally would just embarrass the crap out of my friends but I don't think she would handle it very well and don't want to make her hate me forever :) Thanks for suggestions!
~basquing in the wedded bliss~

Re: Jack and Jill Shower Games

• heyimbrenheyimbren member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011

Some friends and I thought about throwing my friend a Jack and Jill shower. We talked to one of our (guy) friends about it who said in all honesty, he wouldn't enjoy shower games or really understand a typical shower.

So my vote is skip the games.

• mysticlmysticl member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Don't do the games.  Especially if the bride is shy and would be embarrassed. 

BTW, I don't know you but what kind of friend are you that you would purposefully and publicly embarrass your friends?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Ditto pp's I would just skip the games. I doubt anyone will miss them, and most people will be glad to attend a shower without games. Especially if the bride embarasses easy, this wouldn't be the the time or the place. A quick introduction to kick off the shower, followed by good food and drink, and gift opening is all you need. People will mingle on their own, enjoy their food, and watch the gift opening. HTH!
  • edited December 2011
    ok i didn't mean humiliate them or anything like that but most of my friends have a great sense of humor and in all reality wouldn't be an offended kind of embarrassed. Sorry maybe hard to explain the dynamic we have but we like to tease each other, it's what we do. Anyway... I am all for skipping the games but the other hostesses have insisted upon one and put me in charge so I shall deliver.
    ~basquing in the wedded bliss~
  • edited December 2011

one game that works at any party......shower or holiday...... is giving each guest a list of answers.......and then they have to find the guest who is the answer.....that forces both sides of the family to talk.
    ex....question:    Who was with the bride when she got her eyes pierced?
    answer......Anut June!
            question:   who taught Groom to play tennis?

answer.....freind James.
            question:  who was John's roommate in college   or who worked with him in Washington?   
    obviously the questions have to have the person there......if a person planned to be there and isn't you can tell everyone when you start the game that you're giving them one answer.....and tell them who it is and what question.....then leave the rest up to them to talk around to different guests and find out who is who.

this is a great game to get everyone talking and getting to know each other.  First one to answer the list of questions wins......a bottle of wine?  or something....maybe have a few bottles so it keeps going even after your first feverish guest wins to continue people talking and getting to know each other.

• rraven2718rraven2718 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We had a couple's shower and didn't want any games either. However, my FSIL decided to do a "door prize", which was actually kind of cute. She gave people pieces of note paper and had them write down advice for a happy marriage. Then we drew a couple out of a basket, read them aloud, and she gave them a prize. At the end, she put them in an album for us to keep. It was sort of a game, but without the feeling of one and it was a nice keepsake as well.
  • edited December 2011
    I like the questions about the guest. That would be a good idea b/c the focus wouldn't exactly be on the bride who is shy. I personally loved games at my shower. I totally understand about embarrassing your friends. :)
    figuring it out as i go Wedding Countdown Ticker image 124 Invited so far!
    image 105 (including 4 extra plus ones) Are ready to party!
    image 9 Will be missing out!
    image 14 Are making me slowy go crazy!
    RSVP Date October 15th
  • edited December 2011
    At my co-ed shower there was a trivia game. We asked who would like to play (didn't force anyone) and everyone loved it. It was really funny because a lot of the guys (and some gals) got REALLY competative about who knew us best. We did a pin game too, but not with "wedding words," I can't remember what we did, but again we had guys tricking others to win. One guy was all "I don't do shower games" but wanted to win them ALL.

I think the key was that the games were laid back and not "let's sit around and play this game now" type activities. Add some "guy" prizes (flasks, beer stiens, etc.) so that they might want to play. The prizes at my shower included bottles of liquor, wine corks, jiggers, and something else bar related I believe, maybe chocolates? I can't remember.

Double check everything with your bride though, she might not be into the games. Some are, some aren't. No biggie! Also, the games we played were pretty laid back and party themed, maybe that isn't her (or your) style or vision.

And the last thing I would add is that if the games are bombing don't be afraid to drop them. If the group isn't into it, don't force them into it! Good luck!Smile
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards