Pre-wedding Parties

Wedding Registry and Bridal Shower Registry?

I am considering having a bridal shower registry and a wedding registry. Is this O.K. or does it seem greedy? I'll explain...My maid of honor suggested I do a pampered chef bridal shower. I would like to do this, because my fiance and I don't have a lot of kitchen supplies. The main reason I want to do a bridal shower registry and wedding registry is that the vast majority of my wedding guests are coming from out of town. Most of my wedding guests wouldn't be able to attend my bridal shower. I guess my main concern is inviting my close friends to the bridal shower and wedding, but they  thinking I am expecting them to buy gifts for both.  I have asked a couple friends about it, and they didn't seem to think it was in bad taste. Thoughts?
*********May 14, 2011 I marry best friend, biggest fan, and love of my life!!!********** ~Liz

Re: Wedding Registry and Bridal Shower Registry?

• edited December 2011
    I think all showers that involve purchasing items at the party or that in any way look like revenue builders for a single person are tacky. You can register for kitchen items at a regular store (BB&B, Target, Kohl's, Macy's, etc.). And leave it to your guests to decide what/how many gifts they want to purchase. For a close friend I would probably buy gifts for each occassion, but maybe not for someone I'm not that close with. Your guests can decide what's in their budget and what they want to do.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • loop0406loop0406 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I think you should only have one registry, not for separate events, just one master registry in other words.
  • quotequeenquotequeen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In many circles, people give different gifts at the shower and wedding anyway.  But I never attend sales parties, even if they masquerade as showers.
    Married 10/2/10
  • edited December 2011
    It all depends on your guests.  More upscale persons might think it's tacky based on traditional rituals. But the way I see it, it's YOUR wedding and if they think it's tacky then I wouldn't care if they showed up. I personally have thought about doing that, but I own so much Pampered Chef already, I would feel too greedy.  If you do a PC "party" at your Bridal Shower, I would clearly make it known that while their attendance is all that you require, there will be a PC rep there for the Bridal Shower as well as their own needs IN ADDITION to the normal registry.  Talk with your PC rep.  I feel sure she has done this before and should know how you can word it so it doesn't seem greedy or tacky.  And then leave that PC registry open for your wedding registry as well. I hardly doubt your PC rep will turn down sales even if it drags out a month or two. 
  • trix1223trix1223 member
    5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Home shopping parties are NOT appropriate for showers ever.  They are high pressure sales events for overpriced items.  Please don't put your guests into the position of having to buy things they don't want to.

If you need kitchen things, then put them on your registry.  In my circle, couples create a registry at one or two stores.  They don't differentiate between shower and wedding gifts.

At my son and DIL's wedding, and then again at my DD's and SIL's wedding, people bought shower gifts from their registries.  Then some people at the wedding gave cash gifts, and others bought a registry item that hadn't been filled.

I have to say that if I got a shower invitation that said Pampered Chef (or any other home sales party) I'd decline the shower.  I don't attend home pressure-to-buy parties ever.
    "Trix, it's what they/our parents wanted. Why so judgemental? And why is your wedding date over a year and a half ago? And why do you not have a groom's name? And why have you posted over 12,000 posts? And why do you always say mean things to brides?" palegirl146
  • edited December 2011
    I agree that home shopping showers are tacky.  It's saying, "come to a party and buy me stuff while the host of the party gets a kickback".  Just have one wedding registry, people can buy both wedding and shower gifts off of it.
  • edited December 2011
    Liz,

I come from a family where all our wedding parties and showers, etc were country club venues.  Fortunately, I am not stuck up like that anymore since I moved to TN and met the man of my dreams.  Yes, he comes from a redneck background but we are not poor and we are not snobby. And neither are the friends that will be attending our events. Given the group of people we will be inviting, they wouldn't think anything about it being a "home party".  The PC rep I know and LOVE is NOT high pressured sales and if you REALLY want PC as your gifts, then have her set up a display but don't do the sales pitch.  Let your guests know she is available for questions and let her be a guest of your party.  People can take a booklet home and contact her later IF they want to get you something.  But definitely have a registry elsewhere so the people that want to present a gift for you, will have it to bring.
  • edited December 2011
    I think it's in bad form/tacky to have a home shopping party as your shower.  Even if, as msdizzy mentioned, the Pampered Chef rep has a display set up and isn't "pressuring" people to buy, the rep is still a salesperson and you still would have a sales table at your bridal shower.  It sounds like a hustle and it screams tacky.

That said, if you are interested in Pampered Chef kitchen supplies, you can set up an online registry with them.  I looked it up and apparently it's something you can do...I love PC supplies myself (I think that many of their items are worth the cost) and I am considering setting up a registry with them for kitchen-related stuff. Maybe you can have a PC registry in addition to another one or two registries with other retailers?  Then you can still get the PC stuff you want, but not turn your shower into a marketplace.
  • edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_wedding-registry-bridal-shower-registry?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:eff0610b-7b42-48bb-9b85-43e7c3f28b9fPost:2e3358f6-548c-488f-99df-fe5ec489d429">Re: Wedding Registry and Bridal Shower Registry?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In many circles, people give different gifts at the shower and wedding anyway.  But I never attend sales parties, even if they masquerade as showers.
    Posted by quotequeen[/QUOTE]

This exactly.
  • edited December 2011
    That is awesome that they do registries! I was not aware.  Sounds like problem solved!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards