Pre-wedding Parties
Options

"Surprise" Shower

So, my shower is tomorrow... but I'm not supposed to know that.

First of all, I'm VERY grateful that my BMs, mom, and FMIL are planning me a shower. I really do have great friends.

Two days ago, I received a text from one of my BMs that was meant for either my sister or another BM. In 140 characters it gave away the time, date, and plan to get me there. Do I tell her I know? Or do I play along tomorrow?

To give some backstory, I really don't care if its a surprise or not. Half the BMs have been asking me questions about the shower and telling me small things all along. Other BMs and my FMIL would be horrified that I know. I guess my concern is that I don't want to seem insincere when I "act" surprised, but I also don't want the BMs to feel like they failed (when they really haven't at all).

Re: "Surprise" Shower

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would act surprised since it seems to mean a lot to them to have it a surprise.  I have never understood surprise showers, though.
    imageDaisypath Wedding tickers
  • Options
    kmmssgkmmssg mod
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited December 2011
    Play along!  they have worked very hard to do this for you.  Don't spoil it for them.
  • Options
    thealefairythealefairy member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks guys! That pretty much confirms my thinking :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_pre-wedding-parties_surprise-shower-1?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:32Discussion:f759a2c0-b46e-4e7b-b8b9-9a394cb850ebPost:501cf90f-74fb-4649-b893-109475d5b2fb">Re: "Surprise" Shower</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would act surprised since it seems to mean a lot to them to have it a surprise.  I have never understood surprise showers, though.
    Posted by CassieeK[/QUOTE]

Ditto.  I would definitely play along because they clearly put a lot of effort into it.  However, I personally don't understand surprise showers. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    SuMmErKuTiESuMmErKuTiE member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely play along and act surprised and enjoy your shower!

Ditto Allycat11, I never understood surprise bridal showers either. Usually the bride knows it's coming at some point so it's never a total surprise, plus as the bride, I wanted to know when my shower was going to be so I could pick out a dress and be ready for it. I would have been upset if I thought I was meeting my mom or the girls for lunch and was in jeans or something and not dressed up.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Act surprised... I live out of town from where we're getting married and where my shower will be held. My sisters and MIL have been planning the shower - I know the date (so I could get work off and get down there) but nothing else. I HATE surprises (I can't stand the waiting part) so they all know it's driving me nuts!! 
    image A sadly neglected Bio
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards