Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

One Venue for Ceremony and Reception?

We want to have the ceremony and reception in the same place, where would the guests go in between? I'm trying to figure out the logistics of all this and it seems weird to make them leave and then come back. We're having an early afternoon wedding so it's not during a meal time to save money.  

Re: One Venue for Ceremony and Reception?

• edited December 2011

Are you doing pictures in between?  We are having ceremony outside and reception inside at same venue but doing all pics before so no real gap.  If there will be a small gap usually there is some sort of cocktail hour but I am not sure how well that would work for an afternoon wedding.  Most venues should have some good suggestions too if they are use to hosting both.

• edited December 2011
    How many people are you anticipating? What's your budget?

Usually venues can do a turnaround if absolutely necessary, and move your guests to another area for cocktails and socializing if they need to flip the room.
    Getting married in Oct, I'm sure you could do an outdoor ceremony and indoor reception at the same venue (and have a backup plan indoors in case the weather turns.)
    ~DFWs Resident Snark~
    I'm not so good with the advice... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment?
  • edited December 2011
    We are doing pictures in between. I'm a photographer so it's very important to me to get lots of great photographs. Our ceremony is in the back room so the guests will have to walk through the room the reception will be in to get to it. I'd like it to not have the tables set up until the ceremony starts so they don't see it until it's time. I guess if we leave through the back to take pictures and they can mingle in the reception hall?
  • edited December 2011
    We can't do an outdoor wedding at our venue. We are inviting 50 guests and our budget is $1,500. We actually don't have the concrete date because we aren't booking anything until 2 weeks before (see my post here about it). I have my dress coming in for less than $300. I'm using friends as most of my vendors, and my venue is only going to cost me $500. 
  • BanannaPBanannaP member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My husband is a photographer, so pictures were super important to us as well, but we did every single one of our posed photos before the ceremony so we could get right to the reception and not waste any party time.

But, if your guest count is that small, I would imagine that most people would be in at least one of the photos, right? So that would certainly keep them occupied during that time.
  • edited December 2011
    Where did you find a venue for that cheap? I'm having a hard time finding a venue for under $2500 for both the ceremony and the reception.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Well if you look at the post I linked, it's going to be quite interesting. We can't book anything until 2 weeks before and we get that price since it's so last minute. I own my own company so I'll be able to spend those 2 weeks getting everything together. Also, since I have relationships with most of the vendors they'll work with me and aren't charging me normal pricing. 
  • lesalyriclesalyric member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    We got married at the Rose Chapel in Fort Worth for less than $2000 on a Friday night, so it is doable mbryant, it just takes a lot of research. Luckily a lot of the girls here have done that research already and have shared it with everyone in the vendor sticky.

Regarding have the ceremony and reception in one place, we did a cocktail hour in between to give the guests something to do while we were taking pictures. If you don't want to do cocktails you could always do light hor doures and then do dessert/cake during the reception.

Honestly, it's not that big of a deal to have the guests see the reception space before the ceremony. Unless you are having no decor (which doesn't seem to be the case, because you wouldn't be worried about the guests seeing it) or you are having a full 1.5 hour long catholic mass, there s probably not enough time to set it up during the ceremony. You mentioned you know vendors, so maybe they will provide you with an army of people to set up and I am wrong.

I don't remember your situation and the link you provided went straight to the DFW board homepage, so disregard all of this if it doesn't apply to you.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • NYLOPlanoNYLOPlano member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You should check out the NYLO Hotel Plano as they offer an Outdoor Ceremony site and a Indoor Reception site that has alot of personality.
    www.nylohotels.com/plano
  • edited December 2011
    We are having ours at the same venue but the ceremony will be outside and the reception inside.  The guests will just go inside after the ceremony while we finish up the pictures.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• winechic25winechic25 member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm having ceremony and reception in the same place. After the ceremony guests will move away from the "half" of the space that is the ceremony, they will move over to the other half for a cocktail hour while the venue flips the space.
  • edited December 2011
    I cannot find anywhere on the link you posted where you have booked your venue.
    Can you let us know where you have booked...maybe some of us will be familiar with your venue.
  • bsn1752bsn1752 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Hey there WillBeMrsC - Please check your private messages.
  • edited December 2011
    We're using Event 1013 in Plano.
  • edited December 2011
    I knew it was Even 1013 when you described having the ceremony in the back! :)

There is a back door back there... maybe someone could direct your guests to enter that way?

Otherwise I wouldn't think it would be a big deal especially with an intimate group if they see your tables beforehand?

I know you are waiting until 2 weeks prior to get a discounted rate, but what happens when someone books it during the date/time slots you are looking at?
  • edited December 2011
    I'm a very flexible person, hah! We will let our guests know informally of the situation and not send out invites until the day we book. My friend is doing our invites so they'll be allready to put the date on and send out that morning. They will tell me their possible openings for the next few months and I'll grab the first one I can!
  • Katy LanzaKaty Lanza member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_one-venue-ceremony-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:102Discussion:8dc62dca-7e3d-40d9-9694-9b7b7b7ec71bPost:98356a51-52fc-4086-8792-dd91d90c5031">Re: One Venue for Ceremony and Reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]There is a back door back there... maybe someone could direct your guests to enter that way? 
    Posted by Tiffany618[/QUOTE]<div><div style="font-family:Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;font-size:10px;background-color:initial;background-image:none;background-attachment:initial;background-origin:initial;background-clip:initial;color:#1f1f1f;font:normal normal normal 11px/14px Arial, sans-serif;text-align:left;line-height:normal;"> <div>This was the only thing that I could think of also. You could have someone stand out front and direct guests around to that back door, or post signs. </div><div>
    </div><div>Another thing that Aimee mentioned when we met with her was that they could do draping from the front door to the back hallway. This would create a walkway that would shield guests from the reception area, and it would be taken down/opened up while your ceremony is going on. If I remember right, you can rent the draping directly from Event 1013.</div></div>
    </div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards