Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

making friends....a little long

I am pretty new to the DFW area. I moved up here in July soon after my engagment and am currently living in Arlington. I moved to get used to the city before my fiance and I were to get married. I got a job in the Crowley school district and seem to be settling into the city pretty good. I wanted to have a chance to get used to my surrounding before I was married and although that is going good there is one thing that is lacking.....friends!

I have never felt more loved in all my life but at the same time I feel kind of like I am all alone. I live with my husband  and we spend a lot of time together but he has friends up here (single ones) and I dont. I knew when I moved here I would be moving away from my friends but I felt sure I wouldnt have a hard time making friends especially with the job I have in a school. It hasn't been easy at all! I have always lived with my girlfriends and have always had them but now its like all of a sudden I realise I don't have them anymore. We all have moved away from each other and are getting married/having kids.

I know this may not be the right place to post this but I needed "someone" to talk to while the husband was at this buddies house. Has anyone else felt this way and can anyone give me some advice or helpful hints on making friends in this big city?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: making friends....a little long

• juliebug1997juliebug1997 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Will you guys be joining a church?  That's the way a lot of people make friends here is through church.  I will say that being in a school can be a great way to make friends.  Start seeing if your school does a happy hour (some times we refer to it as choir practice) every now and then.  Did you graduate from a specific college and do they have a formal/informal alumni association here?  You can also always put out a Knottie G2G for the Arlington area and some will probably show up. Do you have any hobbies that you could take a class for and meet people that way? 

Congratulations on taking the big step of moving away from home.  I applaud your willingness to move so far!!!
  • MicahAnn2009MicahAnn2009 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Julie- We have made one set of friends mutually that are newlyweds and live in this area. We met them at the dog park and then went to church with them a few times but that church just wasnt right for us. They understand that and we continue to be friends but the more my husband is around her husband the less he likes him. I like her but being newlywed, she doesn't do much without her husband. We are planning on joining a church yes ma'am. And thanks for happy hour/choir practice thing, I will look into it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • edited December 2011

I went through the same thing when we first moved here about a year ago.  It took a while, so my advice is to not worry too much - it can take some time to feel close to people when you're starting relationships from scratch.  One social activity that some folks at work do is a cooking club - every month or so one person (and his/her spouse or SO, if applicable) hosts the group and picks recipes to cook.  Everyone cooks together and then enjoys the meal.

If you're looking for more organized activities to join, my husband always recommends meetup.com to people.  When we first got here, I looked and there were some decent groups of people with common interests or just looking for other couples to hang out with.  My husband and I both got pretty busy soon after we moved here, so we didn't end up going to any events, but it seemed worth looking into.

• edited December 2011
    I am in the Arlington area and felt the same way you did when we moved here 5 years ago. If you'd like to organize a get together, I'd be there. Or if you'd like to meet for brunch or dinner, let me know.
  • edited December 2011
    I am near Arlington also.  I am in a similar situation.  I grew up in Dallas but until about a year ago lived in LA for 6 years.  I would love to have a GTG!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • appletango85appletango85 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I'm in Arlington and I would go to a get together as long as I don't have a show that day :p

Another good way to meet people is to take a class where you *have* to talk to other people like an acting or dance class or a class where you have to do like a group project.
  • lvasilenlvasilen member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My FI and I recently (May) moved to northern-Dallas as well. We joke around all the time that our social life sucks!!

The good news is there is sooo much to do here. I have lived other places where there is zero...but I totally hear you on the hard meeting people/friends. Besides a few work friends we are still friendless. Which can also be a little strenous to the relationship if it is all together or all seperate time, couples time is always fun!

I would be up for a GTG as well!
  • katiekate214katiekate214 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I totally understand how you feel. I just moved to Dallas a few months ago and meeting people is so hard, especially when you are part of a "couple". I have been so lonely since coming here, hangin out with the FI is great but I need some good girl talk and a mani/pedi partner lol Arlington is a little far but I would be down for a gtg, I def need to meet some goods girlfriends!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards