• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO
Budget and DIY Weddings

Need help writing on sand dollars...

I'm using them as my place cards and i was wondering what type of pen people used to write on them? I googled it and cant really find anything. I find that a sharpee is just too thick.

Re: Need help writing on sand dollars...

• Have you tried the Extra Fine tip sharpie's?
    Photobucket
  • You know I haven't. I guess I should try that first. I just want to make sure it doesn't look tacky ya know? I'll try it. Thanks :)
  • When we lived in Puerto Rico my mom used to find sand dollars and paint them all the time, but she never painted words on them.  I'd say try a couple different things.  All my DIY projects have been a lot of trial and error!
    Photobucket
  • Sand dollars out of water make me sad... most of the time people take them without realizing they're still alive :(

I have no suggestions for your predicament though... good luck!
  • I remember trying to write on one that I got on vacation with a sharpie and I had trouble with getting it to write nicely and also with it bleeding once it was on there.

If everything you tries doesn't seem to work you might try this look. I think its pretty cute.

• The PP idea looks really good. You could even tie in your wedding colors with the ribbon.
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyName Ticker
  • In Response to Re: Need help writing on sand dollars...:
    You know I haven't. I guess I should try that first. I just want to make sure it doesn't look tacky ya know? I'll try it. Thanks :)
    Posted by kristin1007
    Because there's nothing inherently tacky about using a dead animal as wedding decor.  

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

**Current VistaPrint Groupon - $17 gets you $70(good 'til 11/8)**

**New project in the works: Follow my Twitter for more Groupon (etc) deals!**

Bio ~ A Bride's Guide to VistaPrint * www.vistaprint-goddess.weebly.com

"In my book you're a VistaPrint goddess" --Hannah

Photobucket

In Response to Re: Need help writing on sand dollars... : Because there's nothing inherently tacky about using a dead animal as wedding decor.  
    Posted by jena.n.ross
    I'm with you on that one... hence my earlier post that they make me sad. My mom and I are the nuts who run up and down the beach trying to save the sand dollars from ignorant tourists who pick them up and try to take them home when they're still alive.

But I honestly don't think most people even realize they're actual live animals.
    Well to be fair, typically if they are already bleached white, they have already become skeletons, and are indeed dead- so they are no longer live animals. If they are already white, it's not really that different than collecting other shells.
    Posted by mrs.jesse
    But the question is:
    were these sourced from dead sanddollars (which would likely not be fully intact and would have chips/cracks) or were they harvested as live animals (in perfect shape) and killed so they could become her wedding favor/placecard? This also perpetuates the harvesting of these animals because someone learned they could profit from this. 

And sorry, handwriting on any animal's home or body is tacky. Makes me think of death placeholders. And no, I'm not vegetarian or vegan, but I do take issue with this as it's just for vanity's sake.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Well to be fair, typically if they are already bleached white, they have already become skeletons, and are indeed dead- so they are no longer live animals. If they are already white, it's not really that different than collecting other shells.
    Posted by mrs.jesse
    So the OP didn't kill them herself.  The problem is that they were more likely than not farmed and harvested for her PPD.  

Photobucket

• In defense of the OP sometimes sand dollars and shells purchased at craft stores are actually fake man-made ones to look like the real thing. IMHO I would not find it tacky if that was the placecard holder at a wedding I attended. But, some guests may...so you have to know your crowd.
  • oh dear......

lets get back to her question

My suggestion would be paint pens. There are multiple brands but Ive had luck with, the elmers brand works well.
  • We used paint pens often in college for craft projects...like schadbourne, I found Elmers to always work the best and last the longest without drying out. You could also look at fine-tip sharpies or calligraphy pens, depending on the type of ink I'm not sure how well it would adhere, but it should be easy to write with without ink bleeding or being too thick like a standard sharpie
  • Im pretty sure they aren't real, so calm down!!!! If someone has a problem at my wedding with these then they can just leave, but I assure you that it's not going to be as big of a deal as you're making it. Thank you to those of you who gave your input, I appreciate it. The other people, get a life and look at the food you're eating that was once a dead animal.
  • I would use paint pens.

• OP- I agree with Sharpie paint pens. They're great!

imageUntitled my read shelf:
    Faith (FaithCaitlin)'s book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    Im pretty sure they aren't real, so calm down!!!! If someone has a problem at my wedding with these then they can just leave, but I assure you that it's not going to be as big of a deal as you're making it. Thank you to those of you who gave your input, I appreciate it. The other people, get a life and look at the food you're eating that was once a dead animal.
    Posted by kristin1007
    You're assuming that all of the people against your use of sand dollars are also omnivores.

If you are going to use sand dollars, please do the world a favor and make sure that they are imitation and not the real thing.
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Regardless of whether the sand dollars were picked up at a beach or purchased from a commercial vendor, the reality is that real sand dollars are dead creatures. Whether or not they bleach, they usually have a fishy smell that cannot come out. They also have a tendency to carry bacteria, such as salmonella. Personally, when I am about to sit down to dinner, the last thing I want to be handling is a dead sea creature, let alone smell one. This is the specifac reason why we are using artificial starfish at our wedding. They look pretty, and no creatures had to die.

The truth behind a well laced dress
  • I eat meat - but that's because that was what my body was originally intended for. And because the beef or chicken on my table was probably raised for the purpose of being food, with few parts going to waste. They are nutritients for my body.

Sand dollar centerpieces are dead-animal props that apparently died so you could have a perfect PPD.

Definitely not the same.
    I eat meat - but that's because that was what my body was originally intended for. And because the beef or chicken on my table was probably raised for the purpose of being food, with few parts going to waste. They are nutritients for my body. Sand dollar centerpieces are dead-animal props that apparently died so you could have a perfect PPD. Definitely not the same.
    Posted by KellyBrian2013
    Yep, this.

OP, if you're "pretty sure" they're artificial, that would have been relevant information to put in the OP, as they are different mediums, and thus would have different results with any given writing utensil.

And "other people, get a life and look at the food you're eating that was once a dead animal."  A) "Get a life," really?  The 1980s called, they want their phrase back. And B) I think if the food I was eating wasn't a dead animal, it would be really awkward.  And possibly squirmy.

Welcome to the internet, where not everyone is going to validate your bad ideas.

But, by all means, it's YOUR DAY, do whatever you want!

Photobucket

• You are all so mean this poor girl is just trying to get some ideas lighten up!
    candiehenken
  • edited March 2012
    I'm using sand dollars as my place cards and favors. I think it's a great idea. I was wondering the same thing about writing on them. Don't let these pessimistic people change your mind.
    candiehenken
  • The 2 people from Maine... don't tell me you've never had a lobster before.

• You can paint them with a mixture of equal parts water and Elmers glue. They'll be smooth and non porous so you should be able to write/paint on them with a sharpie.
    [QUOTE]You are all so mean this poor girl is just trying to get some ideas lighten up!
    Posted by julielovesandrew[/QUOTE]

Yeah-was thinking the SAME thing-if you find this to be the forum for your personal views-hey, you made a statement!  But, once is enough; no need to go on and on...

marissahope120
  • I am wondering what you ended up using because I am using some as paper weights over handmade fans for the church and tried a caligraphy pen but it ran. I will probably try the paint pens suggested.
  • @flappraiser This post is 3 years old, and she is no longer an active member of the community.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards