• Images
  • Text
  • Find a Couple + Registry
GO

Budget and DIY Weddings

Hand Painted Wine Glasses

I already bought the glasses (I also have Beer Steins for the Groomsmen).

I need help.

Best Paint for the job. Best brush or applicator to use. Etc. Please post pics if you have done this! Thanks!!!

Re: Hand Painted Wine Glasses

• Didn't you already paint them....or are they not the ones in your bio?
    image Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • I thought I deleted them, lol. I am considering redo-ing it :(

I just don't know if they are good enough.
  • Oh, ok.  I had looked earlier and hadn't seen after you deleted and explained that. I'm confused...are you taking the paint off or making all new ones?  If the paint comes off easily, what's the point?  And are you giving each person a single glass?
    image Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Starting from scratch... after payday.

Although I would imagine I could get the paint off by running it through the dish washer (because u don't put hand painted things through the dishwasher).

Each person gets a glass.
  • You need to use an acrylic enamel paint made for painting on glass. I like Liquitex Glossies or Folk Art Enamels. You can get them at most craft stores. These paints can be baked to permanently set the design.

As far as the brush, it really depends on what you want to paint. I paint tree branches, so I prefer a really thin brush.

Good luck! It takes some practice, but it's a lot of fun! I went totally DIY crazy and painted a wine glass for every guest at my fall wedding last year.
  • I painted martini glasses as Christmas gifts for friends (now BM's) a couple years ago. I simply used puffy paint in a few different colors and attached some rhinestones. Puffy paint has a fine point and is easy to wipe off with a wet paper towel if you mess up. Once the designs dried I painted over it with a clear sealer. I purchased all the materials at Joann Fabrics. GL!
  • In Response to Re: Hand Painted Wine Glasses:
    You need to use an acrylic enamel paint made for painting on glass. I like Liquitex Glossies or Folk Art Enamels. You can get them at most craft stores. These paints can be baked to permanently set the design. As far as the brush, it really depends on what you want to paint. I paint tree branches, so I prefer a really thin brush. Good luck! It takes some practice, but it's a lot of fun! I went totally DIY crazy and painted a wine glass for every guest at my fall wedding last year.
    Posted by gnome292
    You could get those at Michaels or Hobby Lobby place.

• I did it sorry dont have a pic.> but I used acrilic paint and the best advice I can give (just because I found out the hard way) is to use a really thin paint brush it makes things so much cleaner and easy to work with.
    I did it sorry dont have a pic. /> but I used acrilic paint and the best advice I can give (just because I found out the hard way) is to use a really thin paint brush it makes things so much cleaner and easy to work with.
    Posted by stonektrina1
    Did you use the normal folk art paint, or the enamel folk art paint?
    I painted martini glasses as Christmas gifts for friends (now BM's) a couple years ago. I simply used puffy paint in a few different colors and attached some rhinestones. Puffy paint has a fine point and is easy to wipe off with a wet paper towel if you mess up. Once the designs dried I painted over it with a clear sealer. I purchased all the materials at Joann Fabrics. GL!
    Posted by Ljacks87
    Puffy Paint? Isn't that for fabrics? I considered puffy, but I didn't know if it would work since I was painting on glass. Do you have a photo?
    You need to use an acrylic enamel paint made for painting on glass. I like Liquitex Glossies or Folk Art Enamels. You can get them at most craft stores. These paints can be baked to permanently set the design. As far as the brush, it really depends on what you want to paint. I paint tree branches, so I prefer a really thin brush. Good luck! It takes some practice, but it's a lot of fun! I went totally DIY crazy and painted a wine glass for every guest at my fall wedding last year.
    Posted by gnome292
    Props to you! I want to paint daisies on the Wine Glasses, with either their initials or name.

Then for the guys' Beer Steins my FI and I were thinking Super Mario Bros icons. With their initials or name. (the guys are gamers).

I can draw fantastically, but I just can't seem to hold steady when painting on the glass! ugh!
  • I am also doing this! 
    One of my BM is helping me due to the lack of artistic ability on my part. I've already bought the wine glasses and paint and did a trial run on a glass from my house. I don't have a pic of the exact one because my house is packed with wedding stuff so she offered her spare room to house my DIY projects!! This is the inspiration for my glasses and mine came out just like it! Took 2 hours on one glass and I have 10 I am making >,<
    Replace the red with hot pink and that's mine! Good Luck!!

• Go to Hobby Lobby or to Michaels or Joanns and explain exactly what you are doing.  They will point you in the right direction.  Thats what I did.  I think it is acrylic paint you want and you actually bake the glasses in the oven to set the paint.