Texas-Dallas and Ft. Worth

New To site & Wedding Planning.....

Good Afternoon ladies!!

I am in the market for TONS of help planning my wedding.  I am new here to the site & I don't know what all the abbreviations are or what they mean.  Please help!

I am looking for a photographer who takes beautiful photos but doesn't charge an arm or a leg for their time & the photo disc (so I can print the photo's later) to save on cost.  I don't want to spend more than $500 if I can.  When I married the first time I didn't have professional photos taken & relied on my ex-father in law to take them, the pics were OK, nothing to brag about that's for sure.

I am looking for a cake as well, not sure what style or size.  I want a professional job done that isn't too much out of my pocket there as well.  I have read in a few books & on this site about having a small cake with the look that I want & to just serve a sheet cake for everyone else to eat.  Any Idea on the cost of a wedding cake, say 2 small teirs, say from Kroger, Albertsons, Wal~Mart.  We have a baker here in town that I am told that I need to go there but I'm just afraid of the cost of said cake.

I have a limited budget & for the dress that I saw that I liked online is on sale for $600, that is not the cost of alterations.

I am beginning to feel overwhelmed, I have looked at a lot of books from the library to get ideas, nothing that gives me a clear to do list as to what needs to be done first second & so on.

I am in the Denton area & if anyone out there knows of anything that can help me with the planning that would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

~G.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: New To site & Wedding Planning.....

• Welcome! There is a post at the top of the board that will help with abbreviations, and another with a list of vendor recommendations that will be a big help as you plan. There are also tools within the site that will help like the 'to-do' list that will give you an idea of when to to certain things based on how far out you are from the wedding.

Although we can help based on our experiences, do plan on still researching a wide variety of options to fit within your budget and personal tastes. Most vendors in the DFW area will travel within the Metroplex, so they don't necessarily have to be city-specific.

Tell us a little about yourself! How long have you and your FI (fiance) been together? How did he propose? We all love a good engagement story!
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Welcome!  I used the Knot's checklist to keep me on track.  It is a great list of what you need to do and when.  Of course, there will be some stuff that won't apply to you, but it is great for staying on track and also might have things you haven't thought of.

Although you can certainly go the grocery store route for your cake, I don't recommend it.  Remember that you are also paying for delivery and set up and the guys that deliver your cake from Kroger are not going to be as experienced or as efficient.  My BFF in HS used Albertson's and the whole thing collapsed and toppled over.  We can give you recommendations for around $2.50 per slice.

And sorry to be a downer, but $500 for photography is not going to go very far.  That is not going to get you much better than your former FIL I am sorry to say.  You are looking at a student or someone just starting out on Craigslist with little or no wedding experience at that price point.

Most of us use Becky Fowler for our alterations and depending on what you need, she is usually in the $100-$200 range.
  • Welcome.

The Dress

This is a great resource for discounted gowns: http://www.ayresale.com/
    I prefer it to ordering something online that you have not tried on. You should also be able to find dresses in your budget at David's Bridal.

The Photographer
    I had a budget photographer and she was just under $1,500. For $500 you might see if you can find a student photographer at one of the local colleges who is just building their portfolio. Otherwise you might need to increase your budget to at least $1,000.

The Cake
    Call your local baker and get pricing. Otherwise stop by a grocery store or set up an appointment with their baker to get pricing. Everywhere is different--it doesn't hurt to compare.

• You could also put out a call on Craigslist for photographers with your budger and just see who responds. If they have a portfolio, see if you like it.
    This is exactly how I found our ceremony musician, which we didn't have a very big budget for. You would be surprised at all the photographers trying to get started in the business with real talent.
  • I got my dress for around $400 at the bridal company. It used to be in Denton, but moved to Allen. I did use a photographer from Corinth and her prices were reasonable, but I even think her lowest package was a little over $500.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Anniversary

• I looked at Candy Haven here in town & their cost per slice is $4.50.  I didn't want a very large cake as there are not that many people that we will invite to the ceremony/reception. 

stephiehall - you had mentioned getting a cake for $2.50 a slice, I would like to know where this baker can be located.
    You had also mentioned Becky Fowler, where is she located? This will be helpful if I get a dress & then need to take it elsewhere to alter, most likely I will have to as I am very short & plus sized Undecided

sparkling - I drove by their location the other day & was sad to see that they had moved!  I know that place had been there for YEARS! My BFF who was in my first wedding got her dress from there for only $20!  It was a heck of a bargan!!

Thank you everyone for the advice thus far!  Please keep it coming!!

~G.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sparkling - Can you tell me who the photographer was & possibly a website or email address so that I can contact them at?

Thanks again!!

~G.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Unknown092113Unknown092113 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Welcome! I used Candy Haven (candyhaven.com) for cake....think it was like up to 75 guest for a groom & bride cake for like 600.00. I used Photos by Walt (photosbywalt.com) for Photography....he was under 1000.00 (we got engagements, wedding day plus an extra photographer during the day).

**I live in Denton county and both of these vendors work mostly in our area.
  • I had my cake from candy haven and loved it!  I had no idea what the cost was since we got married at thr wildwood and the price of the cakes was included!  I also used a linens person in the Denton area :-).

Her name is Karen Scruggs and her website is www.karensphotoimages.com. I would be happy to show you the pics she did for me :-). I really loved her and thought she was very reasonable!

Anniversary

• The photographer I'm using charges $50.00hr. He's in Austin but travels to Dallas. I actually found him through my videographer- they are business partners.
    Here are both of their websites. I'm a bride on a major budget so their work is perfect for me:)

tp://www.imikephoto.com/
    http://www.weddingwire.com/biz/danielka-video-productions-austin/website/bc0425cd5a54c233.html
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There is a bakery in Argyle called Sweet Expressions I think they start at $2.50 or $3 per slice. Also for photography I would check either UNT, TWU, or NCTC. These are all in Denton or Corinth and may have students who would be willing to photgraph your wedding.

Becky Fowler is in Irving and will be alot less expensive for alterations and has wonderful reviews.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Wedding Countdown Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited August 2012
    Becky is in Irving.  I think our lowest price cake vendor is Tabitha Ballard.  There was also a budget cake thread awhile back...I will see if I can find it.

I love Karen Scruggs but according to her website, her lowest package is $995.

ETA:  Here is the budget cake thread I was talking about.

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_texas-dallas-ft-worth_cake-tasting-reviews?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:102Discussion:d30b2f6d-a44c-42d8-909d-6b2dd66d7d86Post:1d6bbb26-0286-488c-94ad-2f31843f81cd
  • Aww maybe she went up on pricing. I thought she had a cheaper option!  I would still contact her and see if she can work with your budget :-)

Anniversary

• Thank you for the ideas thus far!  I am doing some checking around on the ideas that y'all have given me.

How FI & I met..

It started back in hs, we were friends & hung around in the same group, he was 3 grades below me, so as I was about to graduate hs he was just starting there.  He worked at one of the local retail stores & I would see him from time to time when I would go in there.  I would always stop by & get a hug from him (we are huggy people).  Well fast forward several yrs & no contact between either party.  I had gotten married & moved out of town, well upon my separation & divorce I moved back to town & in with my parents to get me back on my feet.  Well shortly after I moved back I had found him on fb & we talked a few times but nothing else of significance. Fast forward to Oct 2012, one Sat nite I was at the Rockin R with some friends just hanging out & having a good time, when he saw me sitting in a booth, he came up & said hi to our group & sat down next to me.  So we got to talking about whats gone on in our lives & whatnot. The most 'exciting' thing that happened that nite was he spilled my water all over my lap & on his. He had rode with a friend there & they were leaving early so I offered to take him home so he didn't have to leave so early, well after we left Rockin R we went & grabbed a bite to eat & I took him home. Needless to say it was very early the next morning when I dropped him off & got home myself. I texted him to let him know I made it home & he was happy that I did, he was worried about me. So the next day he texted me & I went over to his place to watch movies & just hang out.  It was nice, we talked & talked & talked. Heck we still do! The next weekend I had went back over to his place to hang out again & to meet his lil boy, that Sat nite we had our first date.  It wasn't nothing romantic, we went out with a friend of his to another country dance bar, we sat in the back of the room the whole nite & talked.  It was great!  As far as the proposal it was very simple & strait forward, he just got down on one knee & asked. For about month leading up to him asking we had already talked about marriage, children & having a future together.

If you wanna know feel free to ask!

~G.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • For a low-priced photgrapher check out Shailyn F Photography.  She mainly does families and newborn but just recently started doing weddings and engagement.  She is on facebook or her # is 682-225-1199.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards