Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Electronics

How many people registered for electronics?  I'm thinking of stuff like speakers or TV stuff.  Is that common these days?  And if so, what do people register for?
Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Electronics

• Options
    We didn't, but people definitely do.  I've seen people register for TVs, Rock Band, other games, etc.  I think it's fine.  As long as you have a range of prices on the registry and the gift isn't something you'd be embarrassed for your grandmother to know you own, it doesn't matter if it's housewears or electronics.
    DIY & Planning | Married 

Married: 2010
    Mom to J: 2011
    Mom to H: 2014

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Dresses may be easier to take in than let out, but guest lists are not. -- kate51485
  • Options
    I think its case-dependent. For example, my fiance and I are 24 and not home owners yet. I think it would seem frivolous to register for electronics when there are much more important things for us to get to set up a home together. However, for a couple that already has a furnished house and plenty of housewares, I think it's a fun idea to register for entertainment equipment, sporting goods, camping equipment and other nontraditional things. Go for it.
    Photobucket
  • Options

I've seen a digital camera and a digital picture frame on almost every registry I've seen lately.  I think it's totally fine if it's something you'd use as a couple and the price points are reasonable. 

• Options
    We're not registered for anything like this, mostly because I know it would get the huge side-eye in my family.  My mom nearly had a heart attack when my cousin registered for a DVD player a few years back.

The only way I'd do it is if everything else home-related on our registry was bought out and we had to add stuff.  Since I know a lot of people in my family give cash, I'd be inclined to just leave it off the registry and buy it with the money after the wedding. But you have to know your crowd!
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    we registered for a digital camera, a big screen TV, and a PS3
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Options
    No, but it would get the big side eye in my family. My family is strictly on the registries are for setting up your home side, which is why HM registries are also considered tacky. So everything on our registry is functional.
    (Married)meganandshane.weebly.com~
    (Planning)shaneandmegan.weebly.com
  • Options
    We registered for a TV (to use our completion discount on after the wedding), a digital camera (got this as a grad gift), and a Wii (got this as a grad gift).  No one bought the stuff for us as a wedding gift, but people bought them for us.
  • Options
    We registered for a Nintendo Wii and I just checked the other day and it's been purchased! I'm assuming it was one of our mothers who's giving it to us for Christmas though.

I've seen friends register for big flat panel tvs... surround sound speakers.. video game consoles.. dvd players.. digital cameras.. etc..(all of which ended up being purchased for the couples) in the words of my mom "If you guys like it and/or need it why not put it on the registry?" It's a gift for the couple! Besides it's a lot more fun for guys instead of pots and pans and fine china  which of course we registered for as well, but we wanted to have a little fun with our registry. HTH!
  • Options
    edited December 2009
    We've registered for a digital camera, but I think that's the only electronics.  When my mom gave me the side-eye about it and asked why, I responded "the one I bought in college no longer works, and FI doesn't have one at all.  We want a camera for when we have children, and we're planning on starting a family soon after the wedding, so it just made sense to us to register for one.  I can take it off if you think people will think it's too weird..."  She smiled and nodded and said "No, no, no, keep it on there." and just kept looking through the registry list.  We already live together, but most of our stuff is old and mismatched from our college and law school apartments, so we've registered for a lot of upgrades to replace our old housewares instead of new electronics and other fun stuff (though there's some random fun stuff on the registry as well).

Some friends of ours registered for a Blu-ray player, but they already live together as well.  I think it's totally up to you and whether your family will think it's strange.  If they do think it's strange, are you willing to accept that or are you going to want to please them?  It's really up to you.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Married Bio
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic My first love.

Me: 31 DH: 30

TTC since 10/2010. 2012: HSG showed unicornuate uterus on right side; both kidneys and both ovaries present. High risk for preterm labor, IUGR, and C-Section. Dx'd Hypothyroidism.
    1st BFP: 10/27/12, cycle before we had planned to see RE
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Pregnancy Blog
  • Options
    We're registering for a Wii. That will be likely the only electronics gift we have on there, but we'd love to get one. And I know co-workers and I always would rather go in on a big gift together than take a bunch of small ones, so it may give some of our friends who are social groups a big ticket item that can be shared. 
    Crosswalk
  • Options
    We are going to register for some big electronics,  mostly for the completion discount offers that most places give, and if a group of people wants to chip in for it that's cool too. 

I think as long as your have a variety of gifts, with a variety of prices I think adding electronics is fine.  If you were only registering for those, then some people might not like it. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards