Registry and Gift Forum

should we register?

1. Fi and i have been living together for 1.5 years and pretty much think we have everything we need. We even went to BB&B with the intention of registering and after doing a loop around the store couldn't come up with anything we wanted or needed. Fi is also concerned about space.
2. We are having a small DW. I am not having a bridal shower. I do not expect the DW guests to buy gifts for us.
3. We committed a faux pas and are having a large e-party instead of an AHR afterwards. We mailed invites for the e-party and people have started to RSVP and inquire where we are registered.
4. Some people do not know we live together because my mother has kept it a secret and will probably think they should get us basic stuff for the house.

All that being said, what should we do? There really isn't much we need or have room for that we couldn't buy ourselves. BUT I don't want people gifting items we already have that will be difficult/impossible to return. I would obv rather have a registry for people to choose from, but what do I put on it? I suggested to Fi that we update our flatware, etc. but our current flatware is only 1.5 years so we obv wouldn't get rid of it... which brings us back to the storage issue. 

I'M SO CONFUSED. please help. thanks! :)  

Re: should we register?

• What you can do is register for items you think you might need, or doubles of things you have ie. towels, bed sheets, things like that.

That way, if they do what to get you a gift, rather than just give you money, they have something to pick from.

I'm in the same position as you, but I have been told and have read that if you want something, put it on yoru registry because you may never get the chance to get it yourself.

HTH
    Jesi
    <*>My Blog<*> Updated Sept. 20 My BFP Chart
    Started TTC July 2010 ~ Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism April 2011 ~ BFP 5.10.11 EDD 1.16.12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would make a small registry and register for extras and upgrades.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • There's a sticky at the top of this board entitled 'Don't know what to register for?' that contains a lot of really good ideas. A lot of items take up that much space, and any upgrades will just replace what you already have so there's no space issue there. 

I am a firm believer in the idea that you WILL find stuff you need, want, or can upgrade.  We've been living together for five years and I had no problems finding things to register for; I almost feel like we're in a better position than people who need to furnish a new home, since it's all a 'wish list' and it's fine if we don't get any of it. 

Do your engagement party guests know that they're not invited to your wedding?  In my somewhat limited experience (could be abnormal?) people don't bring gifts to engagement parties so I'm wondering if they're thinking about wedding gifts.  Some people still get gifts for a married couple even if they're not invited to the wedding, so that may be the case here, I was just curious.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • edited February 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_should-register-5?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:080d159f-4112-4041-a4eb-2e14f40fb31cPost:a828cd7c-9c2b-461e-979a-0ee268f56548">Re: should we register?</a>:
    [QUOTE] Do your engagement party guests know that they're not invited to your wedding?  Posted by LauraT25[/QUOTE]

It's somewhat ambiguous. I've had the conversation with some e-party guests and they know we're keeping the wedding very small and are happy to be a part of our marriage in some way. one of these friends rsvp'd to my mom and asked about where we were registered, which is why i was third-guessing what we should do, lol. we'll see what happens in june when the e-party actually is. we delayed it because i'm in school and super stressed until june 10th. hopefully it's not too awkward, though.

our only objection to upgrades is that our stuff is still pretty new (18 months old) and in good shape, so we would not be getting rid of it. We're pretty satisfied with what we do have too. the ikea glass ware doesn't break even when dropped from 2 ft in the air!!! crazy, right? 

anyhow, i'll check out the sticky now. thanks!
  • I would register for upgrades for things that you already have like towels, sheets, appliances.  Otherwise you never know what you'll end up with.  Most people do want to buy gifts for a couple getting married, it doesn't mean that you're expecting it, but most likely it will happen so you should register. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We lived together before as well and we didn't "need" anything but we registered for upgrades of the things we did have. And some things it doesn't hurt to have doubles of.

Since people have specifically asked you were you're registered I would create a small registry.
  • I am in the same situation you are in. We decided to register our Honeymoon at www.HoneyFund.com

You might want to check that out!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards