Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Mailed gifts & RSVP addresses

I live in downtown Baltimore, and if a package was left on my front steps at 5:30pm, I've no doubt that it'd be gone before I got home at 6.  For that reason, our registries are filled out with FI's parents address for shipping purposes.  My parents live several states away.

So here's my question, which I hadn't thought about until my aunt brought it up.  If someone elects not to buy off our registry, but do decide to ship a gift, are they likely to mail it to the RSVP address for our invitations?

I really want our invite RSVPs to come back to us, not FI's parents (we are primarily paying for the wedding, and getting help from various corners).  But I don't want someone who decides not to use a registry to ship a gift to us directly and have it stolen off our front steps.

I'm considering, as we get close to the wedding (still quite a ways off), putting something on our door asking that packages not be left, but I'm not sure if that's the best option?

Thanks, all!

Re: Mailed gifts & RSVP addresses

• Options
    Do you have a neighbor who is at home during the day (retired couple, stay at home mom or dad) that you trust that could take in the packages until you got home from work?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I think when you buy something off a registry, it will ask if you'd like to have it shipped to the registry address on file.  I would assume it would just go there.  Maybe you should buy one of your small items and send it to yourself just in case?  Walk yourself through the process?  I don't think most people will even notice and just opt to ship it to the place on file.
  • Options
    Maybe you could contact the Post Office and give them special instructions not to leave packages on your door step. Other than that, if you are really worried about your stuff getting stolen, just put FI's parents address on the RSVPs if you are really worried that people will send stuff to whatever address is on there.  It's not a big deal. How far away do they live from you?  If it's close by, you can just stop over once a week or so and pick up the RSVPs. 
  • Options
    Does the post office normally leave packages on your porch?  I'd speak with the PO and find out whether you can hold packages for later pick up.  I know that the 2 times in my life where I've had a package that came by mail rather than UPS, that the PO held it for me if no one was there to sign.  

If not, I'd look into a PO box, and use that as your RSVP address, just in case.  If you go that route, you can use it as a registry address as well.  
  • Options
    We don't ship ANYTHING to our address; we use FI's parents address for everything.  They are about 45 minutes away, which isn't too far but is kind of a pain just the same.

Marissa, I assume that if people use the registry, it will go to the address on file; I'm just concerned about people who opt not to use a registry.

We have a neighbor who works from home - I suppose I could ask him to accept packages for me, but it'd be tantamount to leaving a note on the door saying not to leave packages.

Do BBB, Macy's, Williams Sonoma use USPS for shipping, or Fedex/UPS?  Does anyone know?
  • Options

I think often if people are shipping your gifts they usually buy them online as opposed to the store.  Otherwise I would talk to the PO and see if they will store your packages

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards