Registry and Gift Forum

Honeymoon Registry

Hi ladies--Anyone out there already created / completed a honeymoon registry? there are quite a few, just wondering if anyone has any feedback. Seems like we'll have to be able to pay for our honeymoon up front and take the money on the backend to cover expenses...Anyone else doing this?Thanks!

Re: Honeymoon Registry

• Some people frown greatly on HM registries.  You know your family and friends best and can gauge their reaction better than anyone here.We used Traveler's Joy and it was great for us.  We took a cruise and only registered for our extras and excursions.  You should never use a HM registry to try to take a trip you couldn't otherwise afford, and you should have some sort of traditional registry as well.
  • We had a traditional registry and a honeymoon registry (through honeyfund.com). Our honeymoon registry was very well received by friends and family. We put a lot of effort into including pictures and information about the places that we would visit. We paid for the honeymoon upfront so the gift money will be used to purchase extra's and such. We will be sending folks thank you post cards from various locations on the honeymoon. Folks on the knot can be very harsh about honeymoon registries - you know your friends and family folks well enough to determine if they would find a honeymoon registry offensive.
  • We just recently got engaged and have been living together for a year and a half. We don't need A THING for our home! I LOVE the idea of a honeymoon registry, but as previous folks have said... it can be frowned upon. I'd talk with your closest friends/family and see their reaction -- use the majority rules scenario to help you along. At least that is what we're doing. We MAY register for a few fun things (so my Mom will be happy I have something to open at the bridal shower! haha!), but overall... I would LOVE to get money to put towards the honeymoon fund (or activities while on the honeymoon) or to put towards a new home. Good luck... and Congrats! Be Well. ~ Kim (and Brian)
  • I prefer not to use them as I don't really care to fund a couple's vacation (especially when I know they need things like plates).With that being said, I will give money as a wedding gift, that way they can use them however they like.It really depends on your group.  My family and friends would have been absolutely appalled by a honeymoon registry.
  • Always make sure it's something you can afford. We used a local TA, so our guests did not have to pay any fee at all. A few guests did give to the HM. A lot of them said it was a good idea. We had a traditional registry as well.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I agree with catlover - I see nothing wrong with registering for "extras". I think it's tacky to put your actual trip on there such as plane tickets, cruise tickets, hotels, etc as you should be taking a HM you can afford. But some guests love to purchase excursions, nice dinners out, spa treatments etc to upgrade your vaca. We did Traveler's Joy and have been very happy.
  • Hello All, I've been living with my FI for 2 years now so we really don't have a need for traditional registries. For this reason we decided to do a HM registry. We also used honeyfund.com as there is no fee (most charge YOU around 7% of your total guest contributions!) and guests are only charged 3% if they use charge (to cover cc fees) BUT they can print out a gift certificate and include cash or check to avoid that fee. You can pay $29 to get your site ad free as well... def a small fee compared to the other sites that charge a percentage! We haven't begun using it yet but so far it is easy to set up! good luck!
  • Wow, honeyfund.com is EXACTLY what I was looking for! I didn't want to use the fee-based honeymoon registries. FI and I already own our home and will have been living here for almost 2 years when we get married, so we will need few of the "traditional" registry items. We'll probably still register for some of that for the purpose of showers/etc., but would love to register for "extras" that would make our Hawaiian honeymoon even more special. I certainly would not register for plane tickets or hotel rooms (I agree, if you can't afford to go on your own, you should't go), but I think our friends/family would be happy to buy us a luau dinner or a bike tour of a volcano! I also love the idea of sending postcards as "thank yous" to them. Thanks for all the great ideas! :)
  • I was thinking about doing this but I have read that using the registry can be expensive for guests and I was worried about how it will be received. Instead I am actually planning a surprise honeymoon for my FI and telling my closest family and friends (our parents and wedding party) about my plan. One of my bridesmaids set up a visa giftcard on her own that people can make contributions to for the honeymoon. It is at the discretion of those involved to share this information with guests inquiring about the registry. This way we can go wherever we want and only those who we are reasonably sure will not be offended are included.
  • I really wanted to set up a honeymoon registry. My future MIL found this appalling; so, we did not do it. Thank being said, I really think it depends on your group of family and friends. I, personally, would love to help someone else enjoy their honeymoon.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards