Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Already bought a gift from registry, do I need to buy another?

Hi Knotties.A relative of mine set up a wedding registry and the info was printed on her bridal shower invitation. So when I went to her bridal shower a couple of months ago, I bought her a gift from the registry and so did the other guests.Question is, her wedding is coming up and I wasn't sure if that means it's time to buy yet another gift? I don't want to show up empty-handed at the wedding but I've already purchased their gift for the bridal shower. Am I supposed to give two separate gifts?Thanks for any advice!

Re: Already bought a gift from registry, do I need to buy another?

• Options
    Gifts are always optional, but it is customary to take a gift to the shower as well as send one for the wedding.  Typically, people divide their gift budget for a couple between the shower and the wedding.  If it isn't in your budget to send a wedding gift as well, send a card.Next time you are invited to a shower, figure out the total that you want to spend on the couple, and then spend some on the shower and the difference on the wedding.
  • Options
    Thanks L & C! I wasn't sure if this made a difference but I thought typically that the bridal shower was for gifts specifically for the bride, for example, a lingerie shower, etc. But for this shower, the registry was all for gifts specifically for the couple and their new home. I guess I was thrown off because of that and now I'm just wondering if I need to get an additional "couple" gift for the wedding. Thanks for your advice!
  • Options
    yes...you do give a wedding gift.
  • Options
    You don't HAVE to, but usually if you attend a party, you bring a gift. If it's not in your budget, get her a card. Or look for one of the lower priced items.
    Sunbonnet or cone of shame? You be the judge! Trixie's Blog
    My Planning Bio
    My Married Bio updated March 4
  • Options
    I agree with kristinanddan. I am from upstate NY, if that matters. Around here, we spend $50-$150 on a shower gift, depending on the relation. This gift is for the home or honeymoon, off a registry. For the wedding, I will give $75-$200, depending on the relation, in cash for the couple to use as they wish. I have never given a registry gift for a wedding present. Couples usually get a few gifts left over from their registry but most receive cash. I have never heard of splitting what you plan on spending between both events.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Yes.  I've never heard of anyone not bringing a gift to a shower and the wedding.  In my area showers are for registry items, and usually about 75% of wedding gifts are also from registries with the remainder being giftcards or checks.
  • Options
    Same thing with the pp's. Here in Florida you bring a gift to the shower and cash/check to the wedding itself. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    Yes you give a smaller gift for teh shower and a larger one for teh wedding. Generally I spend 20-30 percent on shower and 70-80 percent on wedding  
  • Options
    I always give at both events, even if I don't attend. It doesn't have to be a large gift, even just a token gift is nice.
  • Options
    Where I come from, in the South, it has been viewed in my social circle as tacky to give cash for any sort of gift. We usually give small to mid-priced item off of registries for showers and larger, more expensive gifts ( think china, silver etc -silver is a big wedding gift in the South) for the wedding. I already have a full set of silver flatware so I didn't register for any. That is the most often asked question of my mother - what is her pattern and why didn't she register for it? I think it just varies from region to region and social group to social group. I would give what I could afford and what is customary in my area. That is the purpose - you know what to expect to give and the bride "knows what to expect" to receive. I have never heard of the idea of "covering your plate" until I started reading the Knot. I guess that is because we don't do seated dinner receptions.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards