Registry and Gift Forum

No desire to register, but people are asking

FI and I have decided to elope, just the 2 of us. We're both very private people and don't want to "be put on display like an animal at the zoo" (as FI so elegantly put it.) We don't really want any of the usual festivities - showers, b-parties, etc. Initially, we didn't even want to host anything when we got back, but my family pretty much insisted on it so we're doing an informal come-and-go brunch. My family is now telling us we need to register, since people will want to bring gifts. We don't want people to feel the need to buy us anything, since we didn't invite them to the wedding and don't really have the room in our apartment for a few dozen kitchen gadgets. (My family buys gifts for EVERYTHING so at Christmas time we pretty much update our towels, sheets, toaster oven, etc.) I think it's ridiculous to register for all this stuff AGAIN when we already have brand new stuff here.... some of it still in the boxes. I have spent 4 months trying to figure out if there's anything we can upgrade and can't think of a single thing. Not one. I'll be 34 when we get married, FI will be 40. I would be happiest if we just spread the word - no gifts, please... just come enjoy brunch with us. But my family never listens when people say no gifts. They'll buy something anyway. How can I get through to them that we REALLY don't want gifts? I know we COULD do a registry, but I'd really rather have people respect our wishes and not buy us anything.

Re: No desire to register, but people are asking

• I would be happiest if we just spread the word - no gifts, please... just come enjoy brunch with us. That's perfect. If I heard that, I would probably bring you a bottle of wine and a card.
  • Don't put it in the invitations, but if people ask where you are registered I think it's perfectly fine to them you really don't want gifts, you'd just like them to stop by for some brunch. Registering is really not necessary, and I totally agree with you about too much stuff.Be warned some people will bring gifts. They may be cute or funny or odd. Either cherish them (possibly in the closet!) or donate them to charity, whatever you feel most comfortable with.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • Oh, I'd NEVER put that in an invite! lol Anyone have any ideas on how to word the brunch invite so it seems less like a "reception"? Unfortunately, we DO need the guests to RSVP so we can give a head count to the restaurant. Would a phone # instead of a response card be ok in this situation?
  • Would a phone # instead of a response card be ok in this situation? If it's small, yes. I'd say around 50 people. If you are inviting upwards of 100 or more, it will be a pain to have a # invite. You'll loose track. I would say something like, "Chosen and Husband-of-chosen were married on July 10th in Aruba. Please join them in a brunch celebrating their union on August 4th, 2010, at nameofreceptionplace." Which works if there are a few weeks between the ceremony and reception.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards