Registry and Gift Forum

Step-in-law gift?

Ladies, I'm at a loss. FI and I have determined gifts for all of our parents (mine, his mother and step-dad, who we are very close to),  his Dad (again, close) but not his step-mother. FI nor myself feel close to her. We're spending about 150 on each of the other parents, but I just don't want to spend that much on her. I feel guilty, but I don't know what to do... advice?
*Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog

Re: Step-in-law gift?

• Ditto on gifts to each couple. You honestly would probably really hurt her feelings if you left her out.
    PhotobucketAnniversary Holiday
  • Giving her a token gift while giving the others something very nice is a recipe for disaster that will last for years.  FI's father will be hurt and insulted, you will publicly be telling his stepmom you don't care for her and this will last for years and cause a lot of damage.  Advice?  Buy her just as nice a gift and move on.  Nothing like starting WWIII over a gift.
  • Thanks ladies. I knew this deep down, but I needed reality to slap me in the face a bit...
    *Jeremiah 29:11* SoyFreeBlog
  •  You are a pretty smart cookie so just work on your FI so he will realize this is not the time to worry about making a statement about his stepmom
  • I'm in a similar situation with my own step-mom. She and I disagree about everything. If I say the sky is blue today, she'll say no, it's periwinkle. I like the couple's gift suggestion. FI and I haven't talked about what to get our parents, but I think I'll insist upon the combined gift for both.
    TTC #1 5/97 - PCOS dx 6/10 - Metformin 8/10 - Moved from Endo to RE 9/10 - 50mg Clomid 9/10 - 100mg Clomid 10/18 - BFP - Beta #1 = 91 - Beta #2 = 958 EDD 6/28/11 Tater Tot arrived 6/21/11 on his Great Grandmother's 90th Birthday
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards