Registry and Gift Forum

How to tastfully ask for gift cards

My Fiance is in the Navy and we don't know our home port, yet. So we just want to ask for gift cards so that we don't have to move so many things to God only knows where we end up.I have an "info card" that is going to have directions and our Registry but under GIFT REGISTRY I'm writing "Due to our new military lifestyle and living conditions unknown, gift cards are preferred. Thank You."How does that sound?

Re: How to tastfully ask for gift cards

• It sounds very tacky. IT is not ok to include anything about gifts in an invite. Make a small registry and then send the news word of mouth that you would love gift cards. I live out of the country myself and understand the travel and transport issues. I would guess many people will realize your situation.
  • I forgot to say there is no way to tastefully as for cash or gc.
  • hummmm..... are you sending that with the invitations?  how about having a website and including the web address instead?  you can list that under the gift registry section - and include places you'd like.  that might go off better than including it with the invite.
  • Yes I have a website, I could just suggest them to go to the website and post more information on there.
  • I'd avoid putting anything in writing. Instead , only register for the items you know you'll use and spread via word of mouth that due to living arrangements being so uncertain, you are saving for x.
  • Putting it in writing is tacky. I would spred the news by word-of-mouth.
  • If you must, the only acceptable way to do this is via word of mouth.  Your wording (actually, any wording to this effect) sounds horrible.
  • It is rude to mention gifts at all in the invitation or anything you send out. It is rude to ask for cash/GCs. If you don't create a registry, most people will get the point and give you cash. When people ask, you/your mom/MOH can say "They are shipping off soon, so they didn't create a registry. I know they would use GCs to whatever."
  • Will you know where you'll be stationed by the wedding? Because then you can just give your registry your shipping info so things can be sent to your new house directly off your registry. You can also register for gift cards, but not exclusively. Do not put "gift cards preferred" anywhere on the website or enclosure cards.Most people will know you're moving and act in kind (sending gifts ahead, bringing checks or GCs). I was just at a wedding for about 200 people. The couple lived locally. There were maybe 10-15 gifts on the table, tops. Most people know it's kind of annoying to bring an actual gift to a wedding.
    my read shelf:
    Meredith's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
    40/112

Photobucket
  • So this is after the fact but I cannot believe some of the opinions here. I get that asking for money may not be traditional and some people in the older generation may think its tacky, but seriously, cmon we are in the 20th century. Your guests want to get you something you will use, not something you will toss or give away because you can't pack it up or can't use it. I dont think I personally would put a note in the invite that you want cash or gift cards, but putting in on your website and spreading the news by word of mouth is completely fine. And hey if you decide you want to put it in the invite then DO IT. Your family and friends know you, they won't be insulted that you've asked for something you want rather then registered for a bunch of crap. No one will disown you, no one will decide NOT to come to your wedding because you have asked for something practical. Do whatever you think is best for you and your situation and don't worry about offending someone, everyone on your guest list will be someone you know and love!
  • It's sad that our society has become so self entitled that people dismiss common courtesy as old fashioned.

It has always been rude to ask for gifts, and it always will be. 

• Its also sad that someone can't tell a family member, friend, or loved one, what they want as a gift. Is christmas time so much different? Those that do exchange are interested in hearing what you would like as a gift rather then a shot in the dark. I completely understand some people's opinion on asking for gifts being tacky. But you are not asking for a gift for no reason, you aren't even truly ASKING. You are simply providing a suggestion on what you would prefer to receieve as a gift. It is a wedding, all guests are going to bring gifts and the ones that don't bring them won't care whether you've created a registry or asked for gift cards since they don't plan on giving you anything anyway (which I'm sure those people are few and far between)
    I'm not dismissing it as old fashion, just coming to terms with our changed reality. Things have changed significantly then in the 1970's. Traditions, concepts, registries. The grooms family doesn't always pay for the wedding, heck its not always the guy proposing!
    I'm not trying to get into a debate with anyone as we all have our own very strong opinions. I just feel that if a person, bride, groom, whoever wants to suggest a gift to their guest by a word of mouth chain saying the couple could really use gift cards or cash instead of presents, seriously whats the harm. If they are insulted they will get you a present instead or nothing at all! I doubt the close family and friends you have coming to your wedding would feel that way anyway. The people coming to your wedding are people that care about you and want to get what you WANT.
  • It is also rude to ask for gifts at Christmas.  It's no different.

If someone asks what you would like, either by directly asking or asking where you are registered, it's the same as a grandparent calling you and asking you what you'd like for Chirstmas.  As the posts above have explained, it is fine to respond to questions about registries with "well, since we are moving abroad, a traditional registry didn't make sense, but we're saving for the move and may be able to use gift cards once we've settled." 

Just as it would be rude to mail or call your grandmother telling her what you'd like for Christmas, it would be rude to put anything about gifts in the invitation or start a conversation about it without having been asked.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards