Registry and Gift Forum

Wedding in another state...how to ask people to ship gifts!

Hi everyone!  I have a quick gift registry/etiquette question...I reside in CA, but am having the wedding and reception back in the midwest where I am from.  I have a wedding website, which is where I will post registry information...BUT I would like to include some sort of request for guests to ship gifts to our home rather than bring them to the wedding (due to the problem with getting them back to CA with all of our luggage, the honeymoon, etc)Any ideas as to if this is appropriate or how to word it!?!?Thanks a ton,Lisa

Re: Wedding in another state...how to ask people to ship gifts!

• It isn't appropriate to word it. You can spread it by word of mouth, or hope people use common sense, but ultimately, it is your responsibility to ship gifts if people bring them to the reception. Choose a registry that includes cheap or free shipping for your guests. People will be more likely to use it. You can also look into stores that will allow you to return everything at the wedding location and re-purchase it in your hometown.
  • That was our deal too (most of the people lived in the state we were getting married in). The ones that got us actual gifts purchased them online and were shipped to our house but because of this, most people gave us money which was fine by us!
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • You can't come out and say it on the invitation/website/etc. You'd be surprised how many people will just have a gift mailed to you home - especially if they are having to travel too. I actually had a few friends ask my preference because our wedding was two hours away from our home. In that instance, I told them if it was not a problem, it would be nice to have the item shipped, but if not, bringing it to the wedding was fine as well.
  • We had the same issue but it's not ever OK to say anything. You can pass it by word of mouth (maybe through your parents) if people ask them about gifts. Most people shipped the gifts to our home anyway so I wouldn't stress about it
  • Thanks so much for the info.  Appreciate it!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards