Registry and Gift Forum
Options

asking for too many gifts?

Hey,I am registering for the usual things recommended including, china, appliances, bath and bed items, etc. But, my fiance and I currently live in a modest sized apartment and he is concerned that things that may not be used as often are a "waste of space" or he says he'd rather get $ than to get some of the items like a punch bowl, cake mixer, etc. What should i do?

Re: asking for too many gifts?

• Options
    Don't register for items just for the sake of registering, but if you want something, go for it. Can you keep some of the items in storage at your parents or in-laws? There's a good chance that in the next few years you'll move to a larger space. There's no polite way to ask for money, but often times if you have a small registry, people will get the "hint." However, it depends on your guests. In some social circles, people just don't give money. What is normal amongst your family/friends? If you have a tiny registry, you risk the "giving the hint" backfiring and guests giving you an ugly or useless gift because they have no idea what to get.
  • Options
    IMO, it depends on whether you plan on staying in the small apartment or moving up to a bigger place at some point. We live in a small-ish townhome, and are probably registered for some stuff that we don't really have enough room for.  But, we plan to move into a bigger house a year or so after the wedding, so we'll just put up with it until then.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • Options
    btw, a registry is not "asking for gifts."  you may not get everything on the registry, and you will probably get a few things you didn't register for.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards