Registry and Gift Forum

bridal shower - gift cards ok?

hi everyone!  so my bridal shower is coming up in a few weeks and my MOH are planning it for me.  When it came to what I wanted people ot give me, I had just said things on the wedding registry.  But they mentioned that usually bridal shower gifts are more for the bride, so I picked a few places that I love to shop/can shop online for honeymoon stuff and asked for gift cards.

We live out of the US and all our wedding events are taking place in US so I asked for gift cards b/c there is no way I could get all those gifts on the plane with me and paying to ship would have been a nightmare, financially and logistically.

So, is it true that bridal shower gifts are more for the bride (lingerie, gag gifts, etc)?  I am doubting this now as I read abt so many showers using their registry but maybe its for wedding showers?

At this point, it doesnt matter I guess b/c invites are out and party is on.  But just curious if it sound like I handled it ok?  Gifts cards for places I would get things for wedding/honeymoon etc

PL
imageWedding Countdown Ticker

Re: bridal shower - gift cards ok?

• No.  More likely things the groom is less likely to use (like kitchen items if you cook and he doesn't) if anything, but showers are generally registry gifts.
  • I think some people designate between bridal shower and wedding shower.  Bridal shower gifts tend to be personal things for the bride and wedding shower gifts tend to be registry items for the couple to use in their new home.
  • I guess I never thought there was really a difference between bridal and wedding shower gifts.  I think historically women received household items at their bridal  shower because they were the designated homemaker.  People still tend to stick to the registry (which usually consists of housewares) when purchasing gifts for the bridal shower.  However, I doubt you'll unwrap monogrammed beer mugs or the beer tap that your FI registered for -- unless you really wanted it too.  And of course, there's always that one or two people that give you lingerie. 

Planning Bio ~ Updated 9/23/11

Wedding Countdown Ticker

D-Day is 11.5.11

128 invited 102 Party People 23 Party Poopers 3 Wishy Washies
    The harassment begins on 10.15.11!

Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I'd never heard of a difference between bridal and wedding shower before joining the knot.  My experience is you shop from the registry. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I've always seen gifts from the registry.  My shower was this past weekend. Most gifts were from the registry and one girl from work bought lingerie. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I think this depends on your circle.  My MOH is used to shower gifts being specifically for the bride and she gave me a philosophy gift set, but she was the only one who gave a boxed gift that wasn't a household or registry item.
    Married 10/2/10
  • JCM10JCM10 member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    All of the wedding events I've been to involved registery gifts for the Wedding/Bridal (there was only one) shower. Lingerie was saved for the bachellorette party. I'd be more thrilled (and less awkward) about getting household stuff, personally!
  • Like the PP said, you can't "ask" for gift cards and maybe with the understanding that you are going to be moving everything you get overseas it will make more sense to those invited to do gift cards.  Most people like to buy physical gifts for showers based on the fact that it gives you something to open, pull apart and show everyone.  Maybe its a southern thing =)  Good luck!
    Favorite thing about fall...Florida Football!

What's cookin'? BFP: May 16, 2011 DD born January 19, 2012 | Chart BabyFruit Ticker Anniversary imageBabyName Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards