Registry and Gift Forum

Eco-Friendly Registry

Our wedding (for the most part) is eco-friendly. We are somewhat interested in having a registry through an online "green store". I've found a few but the prices are ridiculous and I just don't feel comfortable with our guests shelling out that much money. I'm also wary because the items will have to be shipped to us and that seems like it defeats the whole purpose, ya know?

We really need household items but I'm trying to avoid the large companies like BB&B and Target. Any ideas?

Re: Eco-Friendly Registry

• Are you having a local wedding?
  • SD3194SD3194 member
    First Comment
    Yep, almost everyone is within a 45-50 minute limit. There are a few eco-friendly shops in this area but they are either a) over priced or b) don't offer a registry.
  • wyneywyney member
    First Comment
    edited May 2011
    I was considering http://www.alternativegiftregistry.org/ but I don't like it's presentation and don't think guests would feel comfortable with it.  I think that a website's layout and style definitely affects how its legitimacy is perceived.  I also didn't like how the 'about' was accessible and could come off as preachy.  Plus I don't know if they have any affiliations with an overreaching political movement...which I'd like to avoid.  Other than that it was great.

Maybe try the threads about Amazon's Universal registry?

As for pricing....not everyone will agree with me, but I wouldn't worry about the perceived expense as much as the price points.  If I'm buying a 60 dollar electronic or a 60 dollar placemat set, I'm still spending 60 dollars.  Plus, in some cases that money reflects the increased costs of more responsible manufacturing.  Also, we are used to 'artifically' inexpensive items.  If we weren't used to being able to find an item in a big box store for so much less, perhaps the costs of these items wouldn't seem so high.  Plus, it's more eco-friendly to by a few nicer items than a lot of smaller ones, and just as cost effective. 

Also maybe look at various eco-strategies.  Recycled/upcycled goods, used items, American-made, non-toxic, well made (long lasting), are all different ways to be eco-friendly.

Cash of course is the most eco-friendly way to go.  But we all know on this board to never suggest it.  I was suggested to have a small registry, so that I would probably receive more cash and just go to the smaller stores and other non-mass-consumer-typical-registry stores with my fiance.  I was worried about how to make registry information available for what was basically a wish list at a collection at stores without online or even in store registries. 
  • aegrishaegrish member
    First Comment
    There are PLENTY of eco-friendly Items at BBB and C&B,...
  • A few random thoughts: Macy's has an option when you make your registry to request no gift wrapping.  Remember that making sure you get high quality items that you can have for years is an aspect of making ecologically sound purchases.  Reusing is also good--not sure if there's any way to register at a place like replacements.com that collects old dishes and silverware. 

It's hard because unless your guests are of a similar mindset, you can't really ask them to pay extra for eco things or shop at specialty stores that aren't convenient for them (or at least I would be uncomfortable doing so, and it sounds like you would, too). 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards