Registry and Gift Forum

A really basic question

So I'm certain this is a very, very basic question, but as I have been to only 1 wedding before, and our families really have no answers for us, I am just wondering...

My fiance and I live across the country from where we're having our wedding (our hometown). Pretty normal, I would guess. We obviously still want to register, but how does this work? I know most people can easily order online from the registry, but what about our family members/friends of the family who are older and don't use the internet? Many of these people also don't really know that we live across the country/wouldn't tihnk about our inability to transport gifts/etc.

Obviously, this is probably super basic and obvious, but I do appreciate the response. I looked through the boards and wasn't able to find  anything about this....
THANKS.

Re: A really basic question

• For the people who would order online: there is an option to mail the gift directly to you and your fiance.  I would imagine some people would think to do this.  If they don't, they'd either ship it to you themselves or bring it to the wedding.

For people who would walk in the store: you can get a copy of the registry at the store, pick what you want, and then they could either ship it to you or bring it to the wedding.

If gifts are brought to the wedding, it is up to you or your fiance to get them home.  That could mean you ship them yourselves or you can return them to the store and re-buy them back at home.

Hope that helps!
  • Thanks for the responses. I sort of figured that's how it was, but since I really wasn't sure, I'm glad I asked. =)
  • I'm flying to my shower, and we are planning to do a lot of returning and re-buying.  I did this when we got a few large things off our registry for Christmas and had to fly.  I'm going to fit as much as I can in my suitcases (Southwest lets you check two bags free!) and return the larger items for store credit.  Then, when I get home, I will re-buy the exact same thing.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • I always shop off of registries and I always have the gifts shipped to whatever address is specififed on the registry.  

Often these days the bride and groom do not live near where their families live and/or where their weddings are held so a lot of them have items shipped to where they will live after they are married because they don't want to have to deal with trying to transport everything to their new home.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards