Registry and Gift Forum
Options

post-wedding gift questions

Hello!

My wedding was a month ago and I'm currently busy writing lots of thanks yous. There are a couple of guests who I'm surprised didn't give us gifts. I'm not upset about it, if they don't want to/can't afford to give a gift that's fine. We also had a small registry and I understand that some of the things that were left at the end were out of peoples' budgets or interest areas. Of the few remaining items there are a couple I kind of want and are currently on sale and will be further discounted with our "completion bonus discount." The sale and completion bonus, however, expire in two weeks. Should I go ahead and buy these items for myself leaving the registry empty or should I wait so people who want to give actual gifts have something left? I should mention that our wedding was semi-destination and about 20% of guests haven't given us anything yet (about half of those are people I really don't expect anything from). On the same note, I know traditional etiquette says guests have a year to give a gift, but when do most couples receive their last gifts?

On a separate note, we are getting some gifts that are non-traditional. Such as people who weren't invited giving us a basket of food or guests that were invited taking us out for dinner. Since we see these people in person I make certain to thank them for their gifts. Do I also need to send hand-written thank yous? It seems odd to mail something out thanking someone for bringing us to dinner when I just thanked them at the dinner.

Thanks!

Re: post-wedding gift questions

• Options
    1. I would go ahead and purchase what you want. Some guests will not give gifts at all, especially if it was a DW. And if they do want to give a gift down the road, there are still things out there for them to buy. I wouldn't find it odd at all for a couple's registry to be empty after the wedding has come and gone.

2. I would still write actual TY notes to everybody.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Options
    Ditto Summer.  I would go ahead and buy the remaining items.  Some people will send you gifts down the road, but I wouldn't assume at this point that they will be fininshing the registry for you.  

And even if it seems silly, a handwritten TY is always appreciated.  I send TYs for every gift - no matter how big or small.  
  • Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll probably will buy items off our registry but will wait until the very end of the discount. I'm just surprised because there are at least 15 guests/guest couples that haven't gotten us anything who I really thought would (some even specifically asked where we would registered, and none of these people had to travel for the wedding -- it was mostly a destination wedding for the hubby and I). I also didn't want to deplete the registry when we had previously heard complaints about how small our selection was. But you guys are right, a month after the wedding you can't really expect a lot of options.
  • Options
    I would buy what you want for yourselves, as PPs have said.  

Definitely write a TY note in the cases you mentioned.  I try to write a TY note whenever someone hosts us for dinner or brunch (it was great to see you, you have a lovely home, etc.), even though I obviously thanked them in person at the event, too.
  • Options
    I'd imagine most of the guests who are still going to send gifts will send cash or a gift card. I'd go ahead and buy the items you definitely want, especially if you have coupons! Like you said, the late gift givers can't expect a huge selection now that the wedding is over.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    My wedding was 2 weeks ago & I already bought the remaining items from our registry so we wouldn't be left with gift cards. I would agree that people will send cash or a gift card of some sort. And yes, write thank you's to those other people. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_post-wedding-gift-questions?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:255e93fa-afd8-4ad6-abe8-26b758c4bfc2Post:38995ce4-af30-409c-be8f-616cfd9b0e3a">Re: post-wedding gift questions</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>I'd imagine most of the guests who are still going to send gifts will send cash or a gift card.</strong> I'd go ahead and buy the items you definitely want, especially if you have coupons! Like you said, the late gift givers can't expect a huge selection now that the wedding is over.
    Posted by Ali092011[/QUOTE]

This.  In the last 9 months since our wedding we received one check and a Visa gift card.  Both were within two weeks of the wedding.  Go ahead and finish up your registry.
    Visit The Nest! image
    Follow Me on Pinterest
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards