Registry and Gift Forum

Is it okay to register for this...

I really want some cookbooks, just to start my collection. Is it weird to register for a few of them?
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Is it okay to register for this...

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_is-it-okay-to-register-for-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:263f74e6-42e0-464b-a178-a9708984af3dPost:97d77a9e-2c66-4571-bec5-327af86ef01d">Is it okay to register for this...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I really want some cookbooks, just to start my collection. Is it weird to register for a few of them?
    Posted by Sierra524[/QUOTE]

We registered at William Sonoma and I think there were like 2 cookbooks on the list.  I'm not sure what would be different about registering for a baking cookbook as opposed to registering for a muffin pan.
  • I really want a few to start my collection & I feel like those are another option for guests who dont want to spend too much money on a gift.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Ir's fine to register for cookbooks.  I've noticed over the years though that I only use a few recipes out of each one that I own.  What I started doing is keeping recipes in a binder.  That way, I can copy them out of a book or just print them off from online searches.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_is-it-okay-to-register-for-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:263f74e6-42e0-464b-a178-a9708984af3dPost:3faecc53-868e-4880-9710-d9130784e1b8">Re: Is it okay to register for this...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ir's fine to register for cookbooks.  I've noticed over the years though that I only use a few recipes out of each one that I own.  What I started doing is keeping recipes in a binder.  That way, I can copy them out of a book or just print them off from online searches.
    Posted by GoodLuckBear14[/QUOTE]

Thats a really great idea!!!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_is-it-okay-to-register-for-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:263f74e6-42e0-464b-a178-a9708984af3dPost:3faecc53-868e-4880-9710-d9130784e1b8">Re: Is it okay to register for this...</a>:
    [QUOTE]Ir's fine to register for cookbooks.  I've noticed over the years though that I only use a few recipes out of each one that I own.  What I started doing is keeping recipes in a binder.  That way, I can copy them out of a book or just print them off from online searches.

I do the same thing.  I cook pretty often and haven't opened one of my cookbooks in at least a few years.  That being said, I think it's totally fine to register for them!
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Well, I added 3 of them to my registry. Gordon Ramsay "Fast Food" (my FI loves him since he is also a chef), Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Childs (Ive always wanted this cookbook) & Southern Living Crockpot recipies (bc I use my crockpot almost everyday).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_is-it-okay-to-register-for-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:263f74e6-42e0-464b-a178-a9708984af3dPost:3faecc53-868e-4880-9710-d9130784e1b8">Re: Is it okay to register for this...</a>:

<div>I do this too, especially since I find many of my new recipes while I'm sitting in front of my computer at work. I actually have to buy a new binder because I filled up the small one that I have. Even though I do this, I still really love cookbooks and have quite a few of them. I take them off my shelf every once in awhile and read through them looking for new ideas. They're also great to consult quickly when I'm at home. </div><div>
    </div><div>If you don't have it already, one that often referred to as the cooking Bible, is <em>The Joy of Cooking</em>. It's full of lots of good information and tons of recipes of everything you can think of. A similar one would be Mark Bitman's <em>How to Cook Everything. </em>I also really enjoyed Alton Brown's, <em>I'm Just Here for the Food,</em> which has more information about different cooking processes and other thing than recipes. The recipes usually coincide with the information he has just talked about. It's very useful and great quick read. </div><div>
    </div><div>To actually answer your question, I think it's a great idea to register for a few cookbooks. We didn't, but we received a few cool ones as gifts for either the bridal shower or part of a wedding gift. One of my favorites that we received is <em>The Flavor Bible</em>. </div>
    Wedding Venue - Ramsey Golf & Country Club, NJ Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Photographer - Steve Belner, of Photovisions
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Check out my cooking blog, SERIF & SPICE!
    Our wedding has been featured on a wedding blog!

Michaela's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf) Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Thank you for the book suggestions.

I also think I may start doing the binder thing. I have a whole bunch of recepies just laying around my house. Time to organize them!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I registered for a few cookbooks at WS.  I received one, but the purchaser bought it on Amazon instead of WS (presumably they got a better deal- fine by me!).  I would gladly buy a couple a cookbook off a registry. 

I also started the binder recipe collection several years ago.  I use clear sheet protectors to slide my recipes into (copies from books, tear outs from cooking magazines, etc.).  It works great and keeps them clean if I have them out on the counter while cooking.  I also find it more inpsirational to occasionally flip through my binder than a cookbook. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I got an amazing America's Test Kitchen cookbook at my shower and I can't say enough good things about it. It has a lot of information about the science of cooking which is really helpful. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited February 2013
    <div align="left">In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_is-it-okay-to-register-for-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:263f74e6-42e0-464b-a178-a9708984af3dPost:61f15ada-add4-4528-a09c-9f241ebe6288">Re: Is it okay to register for this...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I got an amazing America's Test Kitchen cookbook at my shower and I can't say enough good things about it. It has a lot of information about the science of cooking which is really helpful. 
    Posted by Fancypantsamy[/QUOTE]

DH and I actually make sure we are home at 2:30 Sunday afternoons to watch this show.  Soooooo good.  PBS cooking shows are way better than Food Networks.</div>
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • We registered for several cookbooks on Amazon and got them all.  I got a 1 or 2 additional (i.e., not on the registry) cookbooks as shower gifts.  
  • Betty Crocker Cookbook is the one and only cookbook I use. I acutally use my grandmothers old one. I always saw my mom using it and its all falling apart. I bought her a new one as a gift one year and we still always go back to the old falling apart one! Def go for a Betty Crocker!
    ***March Siggy Challenge: Hair Inspiration*** Image and video hosting by TinyPic Daisypath Wedding tickers
  • Yes!  That's a great gift to register for.  I've given them in the past with some utensils, ect as shower gifts. It's a nice way to round out the present. Go for it!  
  • I got one of those big photo albums with the slip-in clean pockets so I could print a recipe, rip one out of a magazine, or whatever, and not have to write or rewrite. 

But I enjoy cookbooks too, especially with recipes from different countries or regions where the author/s go into the ingredients, produce, spices, etc. - we registered for quite a few!

Hope you get some!

• I don't see anything wrong with that at all!  I think it would make a really nice shower gift.  I wish I would've registered for a few myself! :)
    Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards