Registry and Gift Forum

Stressed out about having to register

My fiance and I have always lived apart and each have all the basic home necessities.  We are in the process of buying some new furniture and want to buy some home electronics--- all way too expensive to register for.   We will need the linens/accessories to go with our new bedroom set, but I feel so pressured having to choose everything within the next month before invitations go out.  I would rather take my time and buy things as I see them.

Bottom line :  We prefer money   (I am not having a traditional shower).

I hate being asked all the time where we are registered.  Is it appropriate to put on our wedding website under Registry:  

"We have decided not to register since we each already have a set of the basic home necessities and are in the process of purchasing some new furniture and electronics. "   Is this inappropriate?

Or should we just leave the registry info off completely and either people will get the hint or we will be bombarded with e-mails/phone-calls as to where we are registered. 

Re: Stressed out about having to register

• Mrs.B6302007Mrs.B6302007 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited May 2011
    Yeah that message on a website probably wouldn't go over very well.  I would do a super small registry (upgrade a few items, get new sheets/towels, etc) to avoid getting a bunch of AUnt Myrtle gifts that are so not your style and then have your family spread word of mouth about saving for a house/furniture when they are asked about gifts.
    The Bee Hive Est. June 30, 2007
    "So I sing a song of love, Julia"

BFAR:We Defined Our Own Success!

• I just received a bridal shower invitation from a friend that has a very small registry and he sister wrote that "monetary gifts are appreciated as the bride and groom are planning to buy their first house together". I thought that was an acceptable way to put it. Most people in my area buy a gift for the shower and give cash at the wedding.
  • Thanks for your input but problem is now solved... I spent multiple hours online today and did manage to find about 15 things to register for so far.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_stressed-out-having-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:356d76d7-ce87-42d1-b111-1e31ec513fd4Post:b7183a04-0903-4c8e-82a0-eeca5858374d">Re: Stressed out about having to register</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just received a bridal shower invitation from a friend that has a very small registry and he sister wrote that<strong> "monetary gifts are appreciated as the bride and groom are planning to buy their first house together".</strong> I thought that was an acceptable way to put it. Most people in my area buy a gift for the shower and give cash at the wedding.
    Posted by babblingbrookey[/QUOTE]

<div>That is completely, 10000000% inappropriate.  The whole point of the shower is to shower the bride with gifts.  Material, physical gifts.  Money is a perfectly acceptable gift for the wedding, however it should not go on the invitation.</div><div>
    </div><div>If the bride wasn't regisered for enough gifts to have a shower, she should have declined.</div>
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_stressed-out-having-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:356d76d7-ce87-42d1-b111-1e31ec513fd4Post:b7183a04-0903-4c8e-82a0-eeca5858374d">Re: Stressed out about having to register</a>:
    [QUOTE]I just received a bridal shower invitation from a friend that has a very small registry and he sister wrote that <strong>"monetary gifts are appreciated as the bride and groom are planning to buy their first house together"</strong>. I thought that was an acceptable way to put it. Most people in my area buy a gift for the shower and give cash at the wedding.
    Posted by babblingbrookey[/QUOTE]

no, actually, that is pretty rude. people know money is appreciated, the bride didnt have to question her guests' intellengence.
  •  Why not do a "wish" registry?  It works similar (cash) but you can put anything on it- so obviously it doesn't have to be a honeymoon.  We are fixing up a flip house gone wrong out here in LA and more than anything, we need cash.  So we registered for stuff to help us- furniture, cabinets, drywall, paint, fixtures, faucets- it isn't the normal stuff, but I need a kitchen faucet more than a cake stand! we have one at www.uponourstar.com - it might be the perfect answer! we are super happy so far! 
  • What type of home electronics? How pricey is too pricey for you? You'd be surprised if you put one or two on the registry.. whether you have an awfully generous guest OR a group of guests join together to purchase an expensive gift... you could end up receiving what you register for. 

Don't mention anything about wanting money, FYI. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards