Registry and Gift Forum

Opinions on my ideas for bridesmaid gifts

I was thinking of getting my girls each a 5" Friendship Ball. They are beautiful and come with a little friendship explaination of what the ball stands for. I attached an example of one at the bottom. I also purchased flip-flops for them to wear if they choose, at the reception as some have expressed wanting to change shoes. I also plan on getting them each their fav scent/brand of lotion and a lip gloss. They've also elected to have their hair professionaly done the day of the wedding, so I was going to give them each a $40 gift card towards that. Is that okay? Cheesy? I wanted the gifts to have a theme, but make them a little personalized too. Opinions welcome! Smile

http://www.kugelhouse.com/store/images/B50.jpg

Re: Opinions on my ideas for bridesmaid gifts

• I think that sounds wonderful! I actually love the idea of the friendship ball. Is that like a Christmas Ornament?
  • Hi! It depends which size you get. They range from 2" to 6". I think 2 or 3 would be okay for an ornament, but 5" is too heavy. Getting a smaller size to use as an ornament is also a good idea.
  • I did think about the store gift card instead, but figured that since I know they are all going to get their hair done, this could help with that cost.

Also, you have a good point about the friendship balls.

• I wouldn't really have any idea what to do with a friendship ball.  It would probably get "lost" in my house in a closet somewhere, and I don't really like the style of them.

I'd also not give them a gift card to get their hair done for the wedding--really, that's like a gift to yourself, since it's for your wedding.  What about gift cards to their favorite stores instead?  Or, I got one of my bridesmaids a spa gift card for her to get a massage after the wedding.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • How is it a gift to myself if they planned on paying themselves? Perhaps instead of a gift card for that I can foot the entire bill?

A spa gift card is also an excellent idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_opinions-ideas-bridesmaid-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:483b1c4e-e80e-42a1-8509-c71c842eeb13Post:275c6e93-76d0-4608-8504-5c276e8de1de">Re: Opinions on my ideas for bridesmaid gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]How is it a gift to myself if they planned on paying themselves? Perhaps instead of a gift card for that I can foot the entire bill? A spa gift card is also an excellent idea.
    Posted by lbarcomb[/QUOTE]

Well, they're getting their hair done for YOUR wedding.  If it wasn't for your wedding, they wouldn't need to spend, say, $60 on an updo.  It's very nice of you to foot the bill for their hair, but I wouldn't really call it a gift, per se.
    two years!
    after two losses, now happily expecting baby #1 09.16.12
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Brie Fit Blog | BFP Chart
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_opinions-ideas-bridesmaid-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:483b1c4e-e80e-42a1-8509-c71c842eeb13Post:e4144b01-e99f-4b0b-a532-c354fb808fd4">Re: Opinions on my ideas for bridesmaid gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinions on my ideas for bridesmaid gifts : Well, they're getting their hair done for YOUR wedding.  If it wasn't for your wedding, they wouldn't need to spend, say, $60 on an updo.  It's very nice of you to foot the bill for their hair, but I wouldn't really call it a gift, per se.
    Posted by Brie2010[/QUOTE]

I disagree. The bridesmaids knew from the start that they were obligated to buy a dress, and perhaps their hairdos, which they elected to do so. Giving them a gift card for their hair is a nice gesture and something they would appreciate! All of my bridesmaids are buying their own dress and getting their hair done and I haven't considered paying for it.
  • They dont " need" to get their hair professionally done they chose to. i would not pay for it. Your gifts are definitley genorous. I am ont getting my bridesmanid anything (only have 2) I am paying for their dress, shoes and jewlery so that is enough gifts.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_opinions-ideas-bridesmaid-gifts?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:483b1c4e-e80e-42a1-8509-c71c842eeb13Post:dfb721c4-27ef-4aac-a67e-a32d0f911457">Re: Opinions on my ideas for bridesmaid gifts</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Opinions on my ideas for bridesmaid gifts : I disagree. The bridesmaids knew from the start that they were obligated to buy a dress, and perhaps their hairdos, which they elected to do so. Giving them a gift card for their hair is a nice gesture and something they would appreciate! All of my bridesmaids are buying their own dress and getting their hair done and I haven't considered paying for it.
    Posted by Minimax052910[/QUOTE]

NO.  As a BM, you agree to the dress.

Sometimes you agree to other aspects but they're not an assumed responsibility.  The ONLY thing you should be expected to pay for as a BM is the dress and undergarments to go with it if needed.

The rest you may want to pay for but it's not a requirement at all - and the bride paying for that stuff isn't a present.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards