Registry and Gift Forum

Is it necessary to register?

Is it really necessary to register for a vow renewal ceremony? Most guests are flying in, and we are not expecting gifts (even though this is the big to-do since we had a court-house wedding). Do we need to register? We don't really need anything besides cookware and towels! lol a grill would be nice, but I would never expect anyone to buy us a grill!

Re: Is it necessary to register?

• It's not necessary to register whether it is a wedding or vow renewal.

Registering is just a courtesy for you guests so that if they are looking to give you a gift they know that they are buying you something you would use and want. Plus most stores give you special discounts if you buy something from the registry yourself after the event, which is nice.
  • It's not ever necessary to register, wedding or vow renewal.  If you don't register, you'll probably mostly get cash, though you run the risk of getting things that you won't like and may or may not be able to return.

Psst... your post shouldn't say "even though this is the big to-do since we had a court-house wedding" but "especially because."

People are often both less-inclined to attend, and to give gifts, for vow renewals.

But props to you for recognizing that this IS a vow renewal and not a wedding.  Half the girls who come on here in this situation are convinced they're still having a wedding, like the court house doesn't count.
  • You certainly don't have to register, but registries are a guide for your guests to know what you might like. Would you rather not register and have guests assume that you would like a blender, and then receive 5 blenders?

Even though it is a vow renewal, people may still want to buy you something to help you get started in your new life with your H and you will be helping them out by registering.

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_necessary-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4c175bc7-9bf3-4cd9-ba27-4f194318ece6Post:29319acb-4b10-4d39-bf24-4a820712ef34">Re: Is it necessary to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE]You certainly don't have to register, but registries are a guide for your guests to know what you might like. Would you rather not register and have guests assume that you would like a blender, and then receive 5 blenders? Even though it is a vow renewal, <strong>people may still want to buy you something to help you get started in your new life with your H</strong> and you will be helping them out by registering.
    Posted by caseyandlizzie[/QUOTE]

If it's a vow renewal, I don't see how the bolded statement really applies. 

If you have things you would like to register for, create a small registry and mention it if people ask about it, but I woudn't advertise it at all.  If you don't want to register, don't register just for the sake of doing so. 
  •  I am afraid not to register, I have had a couple friends and stories on other boards, where you don't get money, you just things hard to return.  So we are doing a honeymoon/wish registry.  It has "stuff" people can buy that is more the norm (Household) and also some honeymoon stuff- it is like a cash registry- and we need money for our house more than anything, so we chose www.uponourstar.com">www.uponourstar.com   We haven't had any bad feedback, so I am happy with our choice.  
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_necessary-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4c175bc7-9bf3-4cd9-ba27-4f194318ece6Post:b3ea0d18-e38b-4c6e-883c-075f8185c8d6">Re: Is it necessary to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I am afraid not to register, I have had a couple friends and stories on other boards, where you don't get money, you just things hard to return.  So we are doing a honeymoon/wish registry.  It has "stuff" people can buy that is more the norm (Household) and also some honeymoon stuff- it is like a cash registry- and we need money for our house more than anything, so we chose <a href="http://www.uponourstar.com" rel='nofollow'>www.uponourstar.com</a> " /> <a href="http://www.uponourstar.com" rel='nofollow'>www.uponourstar.com</a>   We haven't had any bad feedback, so I am happy with our choice.  
    Posted by BrideCa2011[/QUOTE]

And you probably won't get feedback.  If I thought it was tacky, which I would, I wouldn't say it to you.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_necessary-register?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:4c175bc7-9bf3-4cd9-ba27-4f194318ece6Post:b3ea0d18-e38b-4c6e-883c-075f8185c8d6">Re: Is it necessary to register?</a>:
    [QUOTE] I am afraid not to register, I have had a couple friends and stories on other boards, where you don't get money, you just things hard to return.  So we are doing a honeymoon/wish registry.  It has "stuff" people can buy that is more the norm (Household) and also some honeymoon stuff- it is like a cash registry- and we need money for our house more than anything, so we chose <a href="http://www.uponourstar.com" rel='nofollow'>www.uponourstar.com</a> " /> <a href="http://www.uponourstar.com" rel='nofollow'>www.uponourstar.com</a>   We haven't had any bad feedback, so I am happy with our choice.  
    Posted by BrideCa2011[/QUOTE]
    I would definitely buy you something hard to return before I would purchase something off of your rude "registry".

"You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich." - Dr. Sheldon Cooper

• You haven't heard feedback because your guests are being polite- it's rude to point out rudeness.
  • We've only been married for 5 months so it's not like we have 5 years worth of items collected over the years! I just didn't know if it was proper to register for a vow renewal. From what everyone is saying, it's probably best to just register just in-case. LOL I could actually use a blender though... :-P and a toaster! I was making my H eggs and toast yesterday, put the bread in the  oven on broil and wasn't checking every few seconds and burned them :-/ def need a toaster lol!
  • An alternative to gift registries that is good if you don't want stuff but also don't want people to just buy you anything thinking that they have to is to do a charity registry. We are doing one through the I Do Foundation (www.idofoundation.org). We picked three charities and people can donate to one or all of them. 

We aren't doing a renewal, but we've lived together for several years and are in our mid-30s and already have all the household stuff we could possibly need. Plus, we are doing a destination wedding and we don't want people to spend any more money than they already have spent to get there. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards