Registry and Gift Forum

Registry help: Big ticket/small ticket/amount of items?

I am not from the US so not very used to the idea of registering. (We more often just mention a few things to our parents or MOH so people who want to buy something and need inspiration can turn to them for ideas). Basically I am uncomfortable with the idea of picking out exact items that I want and put on a list - it feels greedy to me.

But - lots of our guests have asked about a registry, and when I have answered vaguely they have said I should. So now I am doing it just because it seems to make it easier for the guests. (And it seems to make even more sense since not registering apparently sends the message that we want cash and I don't want that at all. That feels even worse asking for!)

So my question is - how do I make a good registry? We have a very small apartment and already own most of the small things we need. I have put a few more expensive things that we do need on there - a tent, a better suitcase (things between $100-200). But I felt it was important to add lots of cheap stuff too to show that it is totally okay to buy something small. But I am unsure. What is considered a small amount? Should I include lots of things for $10, $30 or maybe just $2 things? Should most of the things on the registry be cheaper stuff? Should I remove the more expensive things completely? And does it seem greedy to have lots of things on there or is it considered more helpful?

So far I have found just a couple of thing for $10 that we need so most of the "cheaper" items are $30-50. Is that okay or too expensive? All the things on the registry so far would be useful to us and I don't want to add a lot of small things that we have no need for.

Any thoughts?

Re: Registry help: Big ticket/small ticket/amount of items?

• 1.  Register for what you want/need.   A tent and suitcases are great.  Most people register for nice sheets and towels (towels are good becuase they can be purchased individually), table linens, plates, glasses, tableware, cooking items, utensils, etc.   There are a lot of kitchen utensils (spatulas, can openers, wine corkscrews, etc) that are inexpensive and make a good addition to a registry, but only register for these things if you actually need them.   It's okay to register for new nicer things to replace your old not-so-nice stuff -- replacements and upgrades help keep your overall ammount of "stuff" in check if you have a small house or apartment.

2.  It's not rude AT ALL to have a small registry or no registry.  Some people interpret this as a couple's preference for cash or gift cards, and some don't.  A small or no registry is in NO WAY "asking guests for money" and is not rude at all.  If there really aren't many items that you need, then don't feel bad about going this route.  

3.  It's common in some circles for guests (especially families) to go in together toward the purchase of a nicer or more expensive gift.   My sister and I do this all the time -- or else we'd always just end up getting people spatulas and can openers:-)   It's DEFINITELY okay to have a few big ticket items on your registry, and you may be surprised that some of it gets purchased.  Even if it doesn't, then you may get a "registry completion discount" from your store that will let you purchase it after the wedding at a discount.  

4.  If you can, it's nice to register for items are various price points (some less expensive, and some more expensive), but it doesn't make sense to register for anything you don't want or need.
    DSC_9275
  • One thing I did was take the registry list from the knot and walked around my apartment to see what I needed or could use an up grade. I completely left off a lot of extra stuff that I know we would never use.

• All very good suggestions! Thanks. I will look at The Knots list and walk around the apartment and see if I get any ideas.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards