Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Registry

Do we have to register? I only ask because as far as history goes a registry was to set you up in your first home. W have been living together a long time. We have been trying to register and have realized that honestly the only thing we need is a toaster...

Is it more rude to ask for silly things we don't need or to not register at all? I don't want someone spending money on anything we don't need.
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Registry

• Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-22?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:5aebddf4-7f4a-4a1d-89fe-43c10f87bbedPost:8c300850-17f4-4943-a80a-b73309e92058">Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do we have to register? I only ask because as far as history goes a registry was to set you up in your first home. W have been living together a long time. We have been trying to register and have realized that honestly the only thing we need is a toaster... Is it more rude to ask for silly things we don't need or to not register at all? I don't want someone spending money on anything we don't need.
    Posted by alyssaames[/QUOTE]

You definitely don't HAVE to register. However, historically, a registry wasn't designed to set you up in your first home. Guests were buying couples essentials for their new home before registries became popular. The purpose of registries is to avoid duplications and to let guests know which china/silver/crystal you use or wish to use so they can buy something that matches what you already have.

People will buy you wedding gifts, whether you need things or not, so a registry is a good idea in most cases. It's not a terrible tragedy if people need to buy gifts without guidance, but if you're not in the market for generic crystal vases, picture frames, candlesticks, etc., it's a good idea to make a registry.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Options
    You don't have to register.  Many guests will want to give you a gift, though, so if there are things you can think of to put on a registry, I suggest making one.  I think it's fine to have less-traditional items (board games, tent, tools, etc.) as long as they are things you will use together rather than things for just one of you.  I would have more traditional gifts, too, for guests that want to go that route--you already mentioned a toaster, and then perhaps additional sets of linens and that kind of thing.  
  • Options
    I would make a small registry, because like PP said, you WILL get gifts.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_registry-22?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:5aebddf4-7f4a-4a1d-89fe-43c10f87bbedPost:8c300850-17f4-4943-a80a-b73309e92058">Registry</a>:
    [QUOTE]Do we have to register? I only ask because as far as history goes a registry was to set you up in your first home. W have been living together a long time. We have been trying to register and have realized that honestly the only thing we need is a toaster... Is it more rude to ask for silly things we don't need or to not register at all? I don't want someone spending money on anything we don't need.
    Posted by alyssaames[/QUOTE]

You do not have to register.  We found ourselves in the same position.  We don't need anything and we did not want to ask for anything since we are already set up and so lucky to have all we have.  So we set up a charity registry so that anybody who really wants to get us something can in turn help out others who are in need.  I will tell you though, no matter what you do, some people are still going to give you gifts.  It is just the nature of the whole thing!
  • Options
    You definitely don't have to register! - a friend of mine recently got married and created a Honeymoon Fund using MyRegistry.com where guests helped give money towards their trip and that was all they did!
  • Options
    Hey alyssa
    So the fiancee and I had been looking at getting registered. We looked at registering through BBB/ Macys but decided to try group gifting and use VenTribe.com, ( The MOH recommendation) We knew we wanted to get a few specific Items and it felt rude to register for  very expensive products and force our friends to buy things that we wouldn’t buy ourselves, so we decided to use VenTribe to set up a few Group Gifts. We chose the products we wanted and Invited different groups of friends and family through facebook to chip in and help us get our dream gifts! We are really happy we went this route as opposed to the traditional registry and I encourage you to try it out. www.VenTribe.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards