Registry and Gift Forum

Best thing on your registery/ something you wished you put on it

My fiance and I registered last week and with our save the dates going out at the beginning of next month I know we have to fix up our registry but in store I got super overwhelmed and had to get out of there.... 

So basically I need a little help, I know there are a million lists out there but whats your favorite thing on your registry? 

-or- Whats something you wished you put on your registry but didn't? 

-or- Whats something that most people don't have on their registry that you have and can't wait to use?

Re: Best thing on your registery/ something you wished you put on it

• I registered at multiple places for this reason.  These boards say no more than 3 places, but that doesn't really work in my circle for reasons I won't get into here.  Plus I got overwhelmed as well.

I think my favorite thing is probably my crystal, actually.  I love my china but I already have 8 place settings of it that I bought myself so I'm just registering for 4 more plus serving pieces.  I don't have any crystal that's my own pattern - I've inherited sets but they aren't to my taste - so I'm excited to get a crystal pattern I love.  That said, I'm really obsessed with my gravy boat (of all things!) in my china pattern.

I also really love the cookbooks FI and I registered for at Amazon - we're crossing our fingers that somebody gets us "Mastering the Art of French Cooking," because cooking is something we love to do together, and neither of us have attempted French food let alone mastered it.

One thing I want to put on there that my FI continues to roll is eyes about is a really high-end iron and a sturdy, high-end ironing board.  The ironing board I want is over $100 though so I probably won't list it... but I've told him that's what I want for our first anniversary if I don't get a chance to buy it before then!  The cheap ones just collapse while I'm ironing and it's only sheer luck that I haven't seriously burned myself.  I have definitely scorched the carpet in my apartment living room, though.  I think a sturdy hamper and nice trash can are also really useful registry items.  Not very romantic, but so practical, and are you ever REALLY going to spring for that high-end hamper that doesn't take up space but is also sturdy?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I had a lot of vases and bowls on my registry by accident (I just kept scanning pretty things, heh...), which turned out to be awesome. Bowls are SUCH a useful item-- I have one for keys and change by the door, one with fruit, one with potpourri (actually, come to think of it, that's an ice bucket rather than a bowl, but whatever), etc.

I was also really happy to get nice towels and sheets. This seems like such a simple thing, but I always approached both of these items from a mostly utilitarian perspective-- are they decent? Will they last? I didn't give much thought to luxury. So now I have really nice towels and sheets that have lasted a long time and are very cozy as well. :)
  • I gotta say to the PP - what in the heck ironing board are you using?  Or are you not ironing right?  I've had my brother's hand-me-down for years, and before that he had it for years, and it wasn't an expensive one, and I've never heard of them just collapsing like that. 

The thing I wish I would have put on is a nice food processor.  I didn't ever really think I would need one, but in the last year I'd been making more things (like hummus or pasta sauce) that I realized a food processor would be great for, and my MIL got me a really nice Cuisinart for Christmas this year.  I love it!

The thing I loved the most on my registry is my Kitchen Aid.  I think you can use this for endless things that aren't just baking.  I use it for mashed potatoes and some other random things that you might not think of. 
  • Keep a list with you, and when you're in your home, write down what you wish you had (nicer trivets, an extra throw pillow, etc.).  Also, we did a ton of our registering online, partly because our local stores weren't very big, and partly because it was overwhelming to go to the stores and deal with things.  

Some highlights from our registry:
    - Stand mixer
    - Food processor
    - Corningware set (comes with glass lids and plastic lids)
    - Deep dish pie dish
    - Wine glasses (registered for Riedel buy 6/get 8 for both red and white)
    - Stemless wine glasses (a set of 4, more casual use)
    - Fondue pot (we made cheese fondue a few weekends ago, delicious)
    - Dishes and flatware
    - Juice glasses and carafes
    - Pitcher (consider a fancy one and a stoneware/informal one)
    - Potholders
    - Serving pieces, formal and casual (BBB has some useful sets for casual entertaining--a plate that comes with three matching cups and spoons, a chip and dip thing, a 6-in-1 punchbowl/cakestand/etc.)
    - T-fal nonstick pan
    - Wok
    - William Sonoma gold touch baking pans
    - Nice cookie sheets (the ones that don't get warped in the oven)

Other things we have that we like:
    - Collapsible strainers
    - Set of Pyrex mixing bowls with lids 
    - Velvet-y hangers that take up less space and your clothes don't slip off them 
    - Super soft throw blanket that we keep on the couch
  • We ended up getting two memory foam pillows and LOVE them! Didn't even think of registering for them, but I highly recommend it!

Most useful thing we got from our registry was probably our Dutch oven. And also our new vacuum cleaner but that's because our old one was broken. We also love our Mikasa wine glasses.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • Things we got and love: stand mixer, Dyson vacuum, high thread count sheet, Corningware bakeware

Things I wish I would have registered for or gotten: more servingware, larger food processor (right now we have a mini one), dutch oven, more towels (we registered for one set but we realized we should have rgistered for more so we have more of a variety).
    Ignorance is a poor defense. Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_thing-registery-something-wished-put?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:691cff4a-ca53-45de-9c25-20e677d3e4ebPost:317df6a9-4cc5-4873-ba86-2463f5eb158b">Re: Best thing on your registery/ something you wished you put on it</a>:
    [QUOTE]I gotta say to the PP - what in the heck ironing board are you using?  Or are you not ironing right?  I've had my brother's hand-me-down for years, and before that he had it for years, and it wasn't an expensive one, and I've never heard of them just collapsing like that.  The thing I wish I would have put on is a nice food processor.  I didn't ever really think I would need one, but in the last year I'd been making more things (like hummus or pasta sauce) that I realized a food processor would be great for, and my MIL got me a really nice Cuisinart for Christmas this year.  I love it! The thing I loved the most on my registry is my Kitchen Aid.  I think you can use this for endless things that aren't just baking.  I use it for mashed potatoes and some other random things that you might not think of. 
    Posted by mcskatcat[/QUOTE]

<div>Haha my mother's ironing board is old and is fantastic - it's ugly but it's the one thing she won't get rid of because getting one of that quality is really expensive these days.  Believe me they've cheapened out horribly in the last 10 years or so.  I've tried them from all sorts of places - Walmart, Target, BBB, the one that my dorm provided... they all collapse on me.  Either I'm cursed or they are cheap.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Lucy, I have used them.  We have a a few loaf pans and a square pan.  We've used the loaf pans for both quick breads and regular/yeast breads (I think the 1 lb), and the 8 x 8 for cakes.  I do think that the crust is a better with the gold touch than with other baking pans, and certainly better than pyrex.  

We also have the mini loaf pans, which we haven't used yet.  I am thinking about using some WS credit that we have to get the muffin tins, because I make muffins almost every weekend to have for snacks during the week.  Total splurge item, although I feel like almost everything from WS is.  
  • Lucy - if you are looking for nw pans, try uncoated Chicago Metallic. I bake all the time and they are by far my favorite cake pans. I don't spray anything in them (the aerosol leaves residue) and I often line them with parchment paper, but I get perfectly evenly baked cakes every time. Plus, they are inexpensive. I think I got my 9" rounds for $8 each on sale at Sur la Table. 
  • We love our breadmaker and cake platter.  

I wish we would have gotten the larger size food processor.  The little one is awesome, but I would use a larger one more often.  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Follow Me on Pinterest
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_thing-registery-something-wished-put?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:691cff4a-ca53-45de-9c25-20e677d3e4ebPost:1fabf398-f513-47ad-8b28-db254cd141d0">Re: Best thing on your registery/ something you wished you put on it</a>:
    [QUOTE]Lucy - if you are looking for nw pans, try uncoated Chicago Metallic. I bake all the time and they are by far my favorite cake pans. I don't spray anything in them (the aerosol leaves residue) and I often line them with parchment paper, but I get perfectly evenly baked cakes every time. Plus, they are inexpensive. I think I got my 9" rounds for $8 each on sale at Sur la Table. 
    Posted by GeauxTigers17[/QUOTE]

<div>We have those for our round cake pans.  Haven't tried them yet, but glad to hear they're good.  </div>
  • Our honeymoon, we love to travel. We are listing our activities, plane tickets, and hotel room so guests can put money towards our honeymoon. I recommend putting things on it like an extra bedset, or usuable cookware, bakeware, bedroom sets, towels, washclothes, etc. Another thing is we love to go camping and are in need of camping equipment.Think about your everyday needs and what will make your everday easier.

I've talked with many married friends who regret putting some materialistic things on their registry like fine china or crystal because they never use it, even on special occasions it just collects dust. Another couple regrets getting a $100 wok because they used it once and hated it. Another couple I know got an icecream maker and it is still unopened, needless to say they have been married over two years.
  • Since we are so old (29 & 31), we already had 2 of pretty much everything. So, we registered camping gear. I can't wait to go camping. :D
    Anniversary Visit The Nest!
  • The best thing that we got was a memory foam mattress pad.  I highly recommend getting one because their so comfy and the bed doesn't move when FI goes to the gym at 4am.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Excuse me for hijacking this thread for a moment....

those of you who registered for luxuious sheets and towels...where did you register and what brand did you get? Sheets and towels are definitely on my list, but we're registered at Crate and Barrel, which doesn't have great ones, and thinking about Target, but I'm not sure what their selection is like, either.
  • Macy's is a great place for nice sheets & towels.  The Hotel Collection is very nice.
    Anniversary
  • Saracowan - I registered for sheets, blankets and pillows at Kohl's they have high thread count sheets, but they also have many different fabric options.
  • We absolutely love our china storage boxes.  They're rigid and decorative - so they are displayed on our living room shelves along with our other decor and thus get used so often.  I think if I didn't have our china readily accessible then we wouldn't bring it out so much. 

We didn't ask for them and are so thankful that someone else was thinking practical.  Thinking about it; they're probably regular decorative shelving storage boxes, and come in three sizes which fit the set perfectly.
  • saracowen-we are registered at Target, and I like their towels. The towels they have under the name Home are pretty good if you like towels that dry you or your things and don't leave lint all over the place. They also have some nicer, soft towels if you like those kind too. We had bought some when we first moved into our place, and we're putting more on our registry.
  • Thanks for all the great ideas ladies! I had a bunch of towels I loved (I put this on my Christmas list a few years back {yes we do lists} but I need a more unified set).  I also think a fondue pot would be fun and used, I have jimmied up a fake one with a double boiling like mixing bowl and pot of water, haha.  Thanks gals!

Still looking for more ideas since my Save the Dates go out this month and showers and invites will be heading out soon. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards