Registry and Gift Forum
Options

Too many registries?

Hi, I am registering at 4 different places and they each have about 8-20 items each.

Is that too much? I'm trying to give variety, especially in prices, but i like some things at different stores.... and also, is there such thing as registering for too many items? Do i come off as rude by any of this?

I'd love to know everyone's opinions and input!
Thanks<3Laughing

Re: Too many registries?

• Options
    We have 4 registries - 3 national and 1 specialty.  We also invited about 325 people.  4+ is the norm in my circle, but that's the minority on these boards.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_too-many-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6b3fd3b0-d4ac-4d78-9b38-431573ff240ePost:00dd2467-0512-4cd1-b943-a8a2c7811cfb">Re: Too many registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hoffse, 4 is in no way "too many" or "odd" with a guest list that large!
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>That's true - and it's abnormally small for my circle.  Most people I know do 5 or 6 (or more!)  There are just some items we really REALLY need (plates that aren't chipped?  Towels that aren't from circa 1985?) so we went a little smaller from the outset to sort of encourage those purchases.  Still plenty of options, but as things start to dwindle we'll likely be expanding.</div><div>
    </div><div>The thing I don't get about the 3 registries or less rule is that large weddings get a "pass" to have more registries.  But how is a guest supposed to know if the wedding is huge or not when purchasing a gift?  My extended family out in CA would be invited regardless - they don't know it's 300+ people - so are they going to judge me because we have 4 and think we invited 100 guests?  It's sort of like the cover your plate thing - how does a guest actually know what it costs?  I guess that's why I don't judge more than 3 registries.  They could be having a huge wedding or multiple showers or be in a circle where the $100+ gift is the norm - As a regular guest, I just don't know!</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited February 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_too-many-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6b3fd3b0-d4ac-4d78-9b38-431573ff240ePost:9a1e5b0b-6ba8-4ed2-b6d7-ac40f05558e9">Re: Too many registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]1-3 was to avoid the appearance of greed. We all know that some brides wouldn't stop at a dozen. I suppose one of the etiquette gurus decided to set a limit somewhere..... I wouldn't raise my eyebrows at four.  Five or six would make me blink, though. The worst I ever saw was EIGHT for a BABY SHOWER.  Momzilla had sixteen pages of stuff at Target.

<div>lol ok THAT is bad - I'll admit there have been a few I've seen with more than 1,000 items... and the only wedding where that was appropriate was the girl I know who invited 1,100 people (no, that's not a typo).</div><div>
    </div><div>Eventually it does get way too long, and my eyes start to glaze over.  That's why we started with a relatively small number of items for our circle compared to our guestlist (about 275 items, many of which are inexpensive and will be bought in sets or pairts - so it's really more like 150 actual choices).  We'll add if the lists start to dwindle, but as they are the lists shouldn't overwhelm our guests.  I don't like having more than 30 or 40 different options to look through on a single registry because I start to get indecisive.</div><div>
    </div><div>One of FI's relatives bought our toaster yesterday - I actually danced with excitement because ours is truly a piece of sh*t.</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_too-many-registries?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:6b3fd3b0-d4ac-4d78-9b38-431573ff240ePost:934f97b6-097a-4494-abc7-e6fe86c12660">Re: Too many registries?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Every bride needs a good toaster!!! Lesson why everyone needs to register....sister got eleven toasters at her shower.

<div>Oh lord... I need to hear these stories you have :)</div><div>
    </div><div>Honestly, this is a perk of Macy's I only discovered after registering... it's the only store I know of where I can mark items as fulfilled on my own, without deleting them.  Our blender and food processor were on an insane sale over Black Friday, so we picked them up.... but my aunt had been talking about how "everybody needs a blender" so I just marked it as fulfilled and her response was "oh darn!  I'll have to find something else!"  Pretty sure if I didn't register for one she would have gotten one for me just to "make sure I had one."  I actually added a coffee maker and "fulfilled" it for the same reason.  We have three (keurig, regular, mini) and certainly don't need another!</div><div>
    </div><div>So far the off registry gifts have been pretty good - a picture frame (but it's actually to my taste and my BFF put a pic of us from 9th grade in it as a joke), some lingerie, and a platter I at first thought I'd never use but has actually really grown on me the more I've thought about how to set a table with it.  So I count myself lucky so far!  Still 6 more weeks to go to get the other 10 toasters though :)</div>
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards